Friday, March 11, 2011

Got the rib in the mail today - back to work on the rudder

This time I step drilled the hole in the flange first, by using a series of about 6 different standard type drill bits, until I got to the 1/4 inch mark. then I switched to the dreaded  unibit and went very slowly to ensure I did not overdrill or distort the hole. It came out fine this time - tested hole clearance with one of the rod end bearings and it fits in there almost perfect. I decided I really do not like the unibit for precision drilling activities. I would much rather step drill the hole with normal drill bits.Unibits are OK if final hole size and postion is not too critical. I'll post pics tomorrow as it is getting late and I am tired.

Rudder frame and skins will get drilled, dimpled, and hopefully primed before the weekend is out - and maybe even some rivets...... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment