Saturday, January 22, 2011

Airventure 2010 pics

The wall of fire at night - traditionally ends the airhshow activities at Airventure each year. It NEVER gets old. Even more spectacular at night.

I believe this is Gene Soucie in a bipe with both wing tips lit up. Spectacular!

One of many B-17s, framed in this pic by a pair of power lines that just happened to get in the way!

Friends finally arrive at KOSH after rain and ground-condition delays prevented any airborne GA arrivals for several days. Pictured are Gary and Carolyn Zilik, Deb and Scott Mills, and a few others whose names I do not know. BTW, Gary knows EVERYONE that comes to Airventure! Simply amazing!
Young Eagles Awards Banquet. Sulley Sullenberger and Jeff Skiles from the famed US Air "Miracle on the Hudson" flight 1549, presenting YE of the Year award to our very own EAA Chapter 301 Rudy Kniese.

The trailer in its high adn dry location at Airventure 2010. When I finally arrived and checked in at the entrance, I was given two choices - go try the high ground and see if I could make it, or follow the other big rigs to the nearest mall parking lot and wait until the grounds were drier in a few days. It was really that wet. Since I had Four wheel drive, and a smaller rig than most others, I decided to try the campground, and this is where I ended up. the wole process was quite nerve racking, but I made it.

Gary Zillik with Scott Mills preparing to depart from Fond du Lac airport in Scott's airplane, about 30 miles south of Oshkosh, after picking up the part for his electronic ignition that had failed after they had departed for home. I was able to pick up the part from a vendor at KOSH that just happened to have it on hand, drive it down there, and deliver it. Worked out pretty well for all, since I had wanted to check out that airport anyway.

While at Fond Du Lac, I noticed this rather odd-looking homebuilt aircraft. After meeting the owners, I learned that it is a highly modified RV-8, with larger than normal tires for unimproved strips, and a Continental IO540 310 HP engine attached to the firewall. Talk about horsepower! For those that are less aware, this airplane, which is the same model that I am building, normally takes a 160 to 200 HP Lycoming engine, so this thing is way over the top power-wise. Turns out it was for sale and I was askedif I wanted to buy it. I declined, remembering my own build sitting back in the garage. Anyway, had to get a pic of it. Based somehwere in Oklahoma.

P-51B with the infamous red tail of the Tuskeegee squadron. The only group of African Americans that were allowed to form a combat squadron in WWII. You can also se one of the real tuskeegee airmen being assisted down from the plane after being given a commemorative ride in the back seat.

Not one, but two T-51, 3/4 scale homebuilt airplanes, superbly built. This is what dreams are made of!

C-17 awaiting takeoff.

Just walking around the grounds, and what do I find? Doug Reeves' own RV6. Doug is the owner/operator of the Van's Air Force web site and forums, and has become a central point of contact for almost ALL RV kit builders. I spend hours on this web site.

The Mule (My 2002 Chevy Trailblazer) packed up with all the gear adn getting ready to depart Oshkosh for the trip back home of just over 1,000 miles. My horse and I have made two successful trips so far, and we are looking forward to a third haul in 2011.

A shot from the side door. Look at all those chairs and tents! It was with a great sense of pride that I was able to help my fellow RV pilots by reducing the amount of gear they had to haul around to get to and from Oshkosh. I am still being thanked for this to this very day! I was glad to do it, adn will do it again this year.

These were ruts left in the ground by one of the super large RVs (camper types, not the airplanes) that I was parked next to. They got stuck trying to get in here, and had to have a a huge John Deer tractor pull them in the rest of the way. the truck shown is from another camper that parked behind me after the big RV finally left. It show some scale as to the depth of the ruts that were created, and gives some idea as to how saturated the ground was for most of the week.

A 3/4 scale homebuilt Storch. This was a WWII german observation and reconnaissance plane that saw a lot of service during the war. I have more pics of the interior which was just simply emaculate, right down to the spare machine gun strapped in the back. A truly beautiful airplane.

The goodyear blimp. This was the first time I have ever been so close to the blimp. It flew directly over my camp site several times, and the sound of the engines was quite soothing.

1 comment: