Saturday, January 22, 2011

204 hours on the hobbs - VS is almost done,Delivery of Wing Jig

Been a while, but finally got back on the build. The VS is all but done, with a few minor tweaks to finish Lots of pics and posts to make. Since the last post I have had to endure all the holiday hustle and bustle, a family emergency, and a bit of a deep freeze here in Denver over the past few weeks. Then there is the kids basketball, school, and so on and so on. On a good note, I got a call a few days ago from Bob Markert, whom I had met some time ago. I met him through Ron, and went to see his RV-8 build at his home. He had contacted me a couple months ago and said that he needed to part with one of his Wing jigs, and asked me if I was interested. I said, "of course", since any time I don't have to spend doing extra work on the build, like building a Wing Jig from scratch, I am all for it. Anyway, he said he would contact me after he returned from a trip to China, (he is a pilot for United AL), and that was about 2 months ago. He finally called me up at work the other day, and we made arrangements to transfer the jig. He and his wife Mary brought it over to my house, and we chatted a bit.

Turns out that Bob has been pounding the books while at grad school, instead of pounding rivets, and he had not been working on his RV-8 for quite some time. He is now at a point where he expects to ramp back up again, which is good to hear. He found me out in the garage pounding rivets when he drove up, and I think that inspired him even further to start working on his bird again. It was really good to chat with him and his wife again. Personally, I think that he and I are the only ones in the Denver Metro area that are currently building an RV-8.

VS progress and pics will be in subsequent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment