Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Right wing top skins deburring progress

Just more of the same - stripped the vinyl off of the larger outboard top skin for the right wing tonight. I have also been watching episodes from the series "From the Ground Up," which, if you have read my early posts, you know that this is one of the catalysts that convinced me to take this journey of building my own airplane. This series is always good motivation for me to continue on, no matter how mundane or insane my current tasks appear to be. At the end you get to watch the finished product (An RV-8) take to the skies for the first time.

Tomorrow I will debur the holes in both top skins, all 80 million of them. OK,so I am exaggerating just a bit, but it sure seems that way. Here is a pic of the right wing top skin with the vinyl removed:

Next is a pic of the way that I left the bottom skins mounted temporarily to the left wing. As soon as I finish deburring the right wing skins the bottom skins of the left wing will be removed per the instructions so I can begin the process of fitting the left wing leading edge. Sure will be nice to switch from the main skins to the leading edges.

Since they will be coming back off soon I only clecoed the top rows of the skins in place. No need to lock down the entire skin since they will becoming back off soon.

Really getting the itch to go flying soon,but I still have some things to take care of first.

On a sadder note, it looks like my washing machine, hot water heater, sprinkler system plumbing, and probably my car have all decided to breakdown at the same time. Sucks to be me I guess. Unfortunately no Oshkosh trip for me this year - just can't swing it financially. I am, however, still planning a trip to Boise Idaho in the fall to visit my brother and his family, and to hook up with one of the transition training pilots listed on Vans website to see if I can get some time in an RV-7A to familiarize myself with the flying characteristics. Looking forward to that.


No comments:

Post a Comment