Saturday, June 7, 2014

Can you guess what this is?

Had a bit of a surprise this afternoon while I was outside going over some car-related info with my son Adam who recently received his Colorado Driver's license. (Way to go Adam!)

It looked something like this:

While I was busy going over the finer points of jumper cable operation with Adam, he suddenly looked up to see what the deep droning noise was coming from the north. He then said - Isn't that plane flying a little low? Not hearing the engines I looked up and for a split second I agreed, and I thought we were looking at an airplane in trouble, heading right for the house! But then my attention focused on what has become a familiar sound to me over the years, and I realized that this this had to be Aluminum Overcast - the EAA B-17 back once again on its annual pilgrimage around the country just before Airventure arrives on Oshkosh Wisconsin in July.

BTW, the above pic does not do the airplane justice, because it WAS flying very low almost directly over the house. I became less worried when I realized that I could hear all 4 of those wright-cyclone engines purring along just fine, and it was maintaining a constant altitude. I assume it was low to avoid the low overcast ceiling that has invaded the Denver area over the weekend.

I am blessed to live where I live, because the path directly over my house is a natural navigation point from south to north for everything from jets flying over mile high stadium before a Bronco game, to Aluminum Overcast and a whole host of other historic warbirds that occasionally fly almost directly over the house. The bird should be here for the next 2 weeks giving rides and promoting EAA. And all this on the heels of the 70th anniversary of D-Day. I certainly paid my respects, and I hope you all did as well. I will NEVER forget.

Now back to the airplane project.....
I spent time today getting the top skins of the left wing installed after deburring both sides of the rivet holes in the skins, as well as both sides of the holes in the top half of each wing rib. Deburring the back side of the rib flanges has to be one of my top 5 least liked things about building an airplane, because ready-made power tool can get into that location to do the job. I had to take my deburring bit and debur all the back side flange holes by hand.Getting in between all those inboard ribs that are very close together was  a pain.

Prior to re-installing the skins on the frame, I vacuumed out all the tiny remnants laying on the trailing edge from all the drilling. With the top skins back on I could now remove the bottom skins and begin the process of removing vinyl and deburring all those holes. Here are a couple of pics of the bottom skins after the vinyl was removed.

I removed the vinyl from the joggled areas for the inspection plates so that I can prime those areas continue to drill out the holes for the nut plates that will eventually need to be installed. I also deburred the edges and corners on the wing walk doubler since those were still pretty rough. Tomorrow I plan on removing the vinyl from the larger outboard bottom wing skin and beginning the deburring process. Then I'll get to do it all over gain for the right wing. (UGGHHH!).


No comments:

Post a Comment