Monday, March 19, 2012

Drawer Project Day 4 - Hard part is done

A humble thank you back to those of you who have chimed in with congratulatory coments for my completion of the empennage kit. It has taken me about 3 times longer than I ever imagined it would, but only because of many lengthy interruptions along the way.

Work has absolutely consumed me for the last week and a half. A long awaited software deployment is on the way out the door after years of hard work. Unfortunately my work tends to get harder and longer the closer that we get to that point. I spent half of this past weekend working instread of countersinking nutplate holes as I had intended.

No worries though, because I have a well deserved break coming my way in a few days on a tropical island with sandy beaches and warm weather. Yep, that means another delay in the build, but I need this little breather before I fully re-engage in the project.

As for the drawer project. I managed to get the hard part done this evening - mounting the right side frame and sliding track. Now I just need to get the dfront and back installed and a few finishing touches, and this little endeavor is finished.

Here is the drawer all mounted into position:


And another with the drawer open:


It was a bit tricky to get the 2x10 frame installed, especially since I somehow managed to screw up the measurements twice. Once for the length between the left and right drawer tracks, and again for the vertical measurement for the location of the right side track, which I somehow managed to get about 1 inch high. A little disassembling, re-measuring, drilling, and screwing is all it took to get it corrected. The drawer is about as level as level can be, which made me happy.

I had my son hold the 2x10 in position under the bench after getting the correct distance for the door tracks, and screwed two screws into the front of the bench to hold in place. then he supported the rear of the 2x10 while I fit the drawer onto the glides. One final push is all I needed to close it up and align the 2x10 square with the side of the drawer. I then countersunk several screws into the top of the bench and into the top edge of the 2x10 to hold it all in place nice and firm. Worked out fairly well. Would have been even better and faster had I got my measurements right the first time.


No comments:

Post a Comment