Friday, May 7, 2010

The whole HS assembly - almost there......


What a nice pic of an almost finish airplane part! I can't finish riveting the skins until I have a tech counselor look at my damaged skin this weekend. Hopfully the verdict will be that I can proceed without replacing the skin, and then I can finish attaching the rear spar, shown here clecoed into position. The remaining rivets can be squeezed instead of bucked - a welcome relief from all the bad rivets I had to drill out and replace thus far.


Riveting is definitely a skill that has to be practiced. Unfortunately, I am finding out that not even the courses that you take from EAA, or the project kits that you can work on, provide the same challenges that you experience on the real airplane parts. You have to learn how to feel the bucking bar, how to hold just right in many different positions, and how to hold the rivet gun, how to contort your body and hands into just the right position, and so on. It will definitely be a challenge when trying to do this on my own, but the good news is that the wing and fuselage parts are somewhat bigger, making them at least a little easier to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment