Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Good News/Bad News

So I was able to transport my almost-complete HS up to Erie Airport past Saturday, where one of the EAA chapters I belong to, Chapter 43, was having a hangar picnic. Lots of great food and great company. There were not one, but two completed RV 10s in the hangars, and so I spent a fair amount of time gawking at them, and drueling with envy at how big and roomy this home built airplane is. I met with a tech counselor, Bill Truax, who looked over the damage to my wing skin and basically told me that it could be filled, won't ever crack, and basically told me not to worry about it, and to KPR (keep pounding rivets). That was the good news.


Now for the bad news. Later that evening, after getting the HS back home, I should have simply started closing up the rear spar and the ends and called it good. Instead, there was one rivet that attaches the end rib on the right side that did not quite get set as well as I would have liked. So I thought that I would drill out this rivet and and replace it, and then finish everything up after that. the first removal went without incident, but the attempt to reset the rivet resulted in a very badly set rivet, so I made the decision to drill it out as well, and try again. As the following picture shows, my drill slipped and I ended up drilling a new hole right through the end rib and into the spar flange that it was attached to. I then had to get creative with a pair of needle nosed pliers in order to snip away at the remaining rivet head in order to get it loose enough to remove. It did not matter, though, since the damage was already done.

A phone call to Vans yesterday, followed by a comfirming phone call to EAA HQ tech counselors today, resulted in a recommendation to:

a. Completely cut away the portion of the forward spar flange that connects to the end rib (not shown in this pic but I will add other pics as I affect this repair.)

b. fabricate a new flange part for the end of the forward spar that will need to be riveted onto the end of the web of the forward spar

c. Order a new end rib (done today), locate and final drill all the holes, debur it, dimple the holes, flute the edges, and prime it. Then finally try to rivet it in place once again.

Obviously this will set me back a bit from finishing the HS, having learned yet another very important set of lessons in the process. I'm sure this will not be the last time I have to figure out how to affect a repair like this, but, needless to say, I am very disappointed in myself right now, and in hindsight I should have left well enough alone. That said, you just have to press on when things like this happen, and realize that problems like these can still be resolved, albeit with a bit of extra effort.
The fabrication will take me some time to complete, because there are some precise measurements that have to be made for the correct size of the repalcement piece, and an 84 degree bend that needs to be made to properly line of with the web of the end rib. Lots of cutting, clamping, and drilling to do. Looks like the dimensions needed to fabricate the part are to use .032 inch thick alclad aluminum, and both sides of the piece will need to be about 1.5 inches long x 1.5 inches wide. The real dimension turns out to be about 1.65 inches x 1.39 inches in order to achieve flanges that are 3/4 of an inch wide on both sides. Bending metal is yet another specialized skill that one has to become familiar with, and it involves quite a bit of math skills and knowledge of metal properties in order to get it right. I won't bother listing out all the detailed formulas involved in figuring out the correct dimensions, except to say that I have spent most of my evening reviewing and calculating all of this. I figure this will set me back at least a week on the HS. Wish me luck I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment