Thursday, May 3, 2012

Wings 44, Total 507 Still Drillin' and Deburrin'

I decided to keep match drilling holes on the lef rear spar doublers, so I did not get the edges deburred all the way on the right rear spar tonight. I did, however, put a large piece of 3/4 inch ply I had lying around on top of my work bench to act as a drill board. I have a feeling that this board will see alot more holes in it when I start the fuel tank construction.

Here is the Left inboard fork and corresponding doubler all match drilled:



Next is a shot of the inbaord and outboard aileron doubler plates with the holes match drilled from the spar and deburred. The hole pattern for the aileron pushrod is also transferred onto the doubler.



And lastly this next shot shows the reference line I drew to define the edge for positioning the inboard aileron doubler roughly in the middle of the rear spar. Notice the edge distance of the line and the row of rivets next to it. Needs to be at least 1/4 inch for 1/8 inch rivets. Plenty fine here.


It's looking more and more like I will be spending this weekend doing primer prep and cleaning metal with acetone. Need to get some more of that stuff from HD as I am finally out of the first gallon of the stuff I purchased long ago. All of the red ink will also be cleaned off. The spars are both .40 2024 T3 aluminum. I should also mention that most folks that use the Epoxy primer that I am about to try for the first time also use a product called Alumiprep to acid etch the surface to allow the primer to stick better to the aluminum. I read some posts where several builders don't bother with it, so I won't either. I did not ahve to work with it before because the self etching primer I was using already has an etching agent built into the primer.

Just the same old process of scotch brite scuffing and acetone cleaning should work just fine. I also need to get a clean air hose for the compressor to make sure that the contaminants in the compressor are kept to an absolute minimum. Since this is the first time I will be using this primer system and paint sprayer, I will practice on several spare parts first to setup the gun properly, and determine the method I need to use to get a good light coat applied to each part.

No comments:

Post a Comment