Sunday, April 22, 2012

Wings 30,Total 493 - Wing Tie Down Brackets

I managed to crank out a few more things before calling it quits for the weekend. I needed to slightly trim the two wing tie down bracket extrusions to match the length specified in the plans. Used my sander for the rough trim, followed by the scotch brite wheel. I was a bit surprised to see that aluminum is being used for these parts instead of steel. I then needed to cut 4 spacers from the provided bar stock using the band saw. Each of these spacers requires a 1 inch diameter lightening hole, as well as the necessary holes on either side of that for the nut plates that will secure the bolts for the aileron bellcranks.

I find this to be a rather fascinating part of the build, because the wing tie down brackets are also an integral part of the process to secure the aileron belcranks. The tie down brackets go on the front face of the wing spar, while the aileron belcranks mount to the back side. 

To finish up I need to drill all the mounting holes and tap the hole to make te threads for the 3/8 inch tie down ring. It takes a 3/8 x 16 tap, and I also bought two standard 3/8 inch eye bolts from HD to use as test bolts during the build. I already have the necessary tap, so I should be able to get those done in relatively short order. I will use a 1 inch hole saw in the drill press for the lightening holes in each of the spacers.


Lastly, I had to do some searching for the necessary hardware. Turns out I probably need another set of organizer drawers to further separate and label some of the wing hardware. I combined some of it by the way that it was originally bagged up by Vans, but now I am finding that to be a bit confusing as I search for specific hardware called out in the plans. It is easier if every specific type and size of hardware is separated and in its own compartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment