Sunday, April 15, 2012

Wings 22, Total 485 - Nut plate rivet holes are all countersunk

Got all the rivet holes countersunk after 3 more test holes in the scrap aluminum with a #40 countersink bit twere done to get just the right depth for the AN426AD3-4 rivets that are used to attach each nut plate to the spar. Then I decided to clean up the shavings one more time, and retrieve the tank skins and ribs from where I had stored them long ago, so I could stage them for the build.

Next steps are to prime all the countersunk holes. I ran out of Q tips to apply the primer only to the exposed holes, so I will finish that tomorrow, and hopefully also finish riveting the nut plates. I have seen others that shot 7220 etching primer across the entire spar flange surface, and I wondered why they did that. the anodization process that Vans does at the factory provides the corrosion protection, and you are not painting them, so the only priming that really needs to be done is where the countersinking removed the anodization. To each their own I guess.

The process continues - hours and hours of preparation followed by a relatively short time needed to rivet everything together. I'm still very glad to be working on larger parts for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment