Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Wings 19, Total 482 - Still countersinking nut plate holes

Not much new to report tonight - got one side of the right wing spar done, now working on the top side flange. Part of the time I am reporting for this portion of the build includes the time it takes to clean up the shop from all the shavings that are produced from all the drilling and countersinking. They end up getting just about everywhere.

I checked with general Aircraft Hardware for a replacement nut plate for the botched rivet hole that I drilled out incorrectly on the left wing spar. Sure they sell the corner nut plate that I need in a package of 10, but they are currently out of stock, and are not scheduled to receive any more until JULY! I could not locate any others at the other supplier stores, but I am still looking. That'll teach me to muck up a hole for a nut plate! No worries though, since it is only for the inspection cover plate. Won't stop me from working on the fuel tanks at all.

Also I finally got confirmation from the FAA web site that they processed and reserved my N number again, N462AK. I somehow let this lapse to the point where it was no longer reserved,  and I was real worried that it might get snatched up by somebody else while they were still "processing" my renewal. Sure glad I got this resolved. Took about 2 weeks for it to show up correctly reserved on line after I submitted the request.

I should be able to finish the countersinking by tomorrow. Then I need to prime all the exposed metal from the countersinks with a Q tip and then I can rivet the nut plates to the spar flanges, minus one of course, until I get the MS21055-L06 corner nut plate that need to fix my boo boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment