Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Wings 17,Total 480 - Drilling and countersinking the right wing spar

Here is the right wing spar setup with a new piece of angle to drill and countersink the nut plate holes. This one is going a bit faster since I have already done this once before. Just have to be sure to drill the correct holes and not move too fast.


Well, the shop was clean before I started - but not any more. Amazing how all that gold colored aluminum turns into silver shavings that end up just about everywhere.


Countersinks looking much like the ones on the left wing spar.


I still need to finish the # 8 holes on both spar flanges for the right wing, then the #6 holes for the inspections plates, then countersink all the rivet holes for each nut plate on both spars. I called Vans today to discuss my options for fixing the problem I created for myself by drilling out the wrong hole for one of the inspection plates for the left wing, and I was told that I could use a corner nut plate and drill new rivet holes for that. I will have to order some of those nut plates from somewhere, but that won't slow down the build at all.

I put most of the tail pieces back on the shelves so I could reclaim my garage again.

The actual mechanics of building the wings is not all that difficult. (HA! I may regret that statement after I have tackled the fuel tanks!) What is difficult is all the planning that needs to take place for the wire runs for the nav lights, landing lights, strobes, radio antennas (if mounting them in the wing tip), additional plumbing and assembly for auxiliary furl tanks if any, wing mounted smoke tanks if any, fuel return lines if you are running a fuel injected engine, pitot tube and AOA lines, autopilot servo mounting brackets, aileron trim assembly, and so on.

This is where you really have to start having at least some idea of how you plan to equip and configure your airplane. This is the "build it from the inside-out" approach. I spend at least as much time researching how others have equipped and configured their airplanes as I do building mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment