Friday, February 24, 2012

A p.S. to the previous post

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I went searching for some information in my blog way back during the rudder final assembly, and I found what I was looking for. I was wondering all this time while finishing up the elevators how I managed to NOT strip away all the primer on the leading edges of the rudder when I rolled those LEs.

The answer: I rolled the bottom or underside edge of the rudder first, and THEN I applied the primer afterward. So the tape never touched the primer. So if I would only have spent the time to carefully research my own previous posts, I would have realized this, and would have avoided having to repeat the steps to reprime the leading edges. Live and learn  I guess.

Somebody asked me if the tape should be able to strip the primer off of the metal like that. My answer: The gorilla duct tape I am using can strip just about anything from anything IMHO, especially from cold aluminum with a primed surface that was stressed during the rolling action. I will be deburring the holes and positioning the LEs so I can reprime them again. I will have to remask the entire elevator just as before and repeat the primer application. Just a minor setback, but a setback nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment