Saturday, May 31, 2014

Completed match drilling holes in main wing skins

I'll start this post with a quick pic of the new overhead light that I described in my previous post that was mounted to the underside of the shelf:

Since I finished match drilling all the main wing skin holes to the spar and the ribs on both wings, the next step will be to remove the skins and debur ALL the holes. This also means that it is time to remove the vinyl by using the wonderful soldering iron method once again. At this point I was tired of having problems trying to get anything from a 25 watt to a 40 watt soldering iron to generate enough heat to melt the blue vinyl coating on the metal. It just would not heat up the vinyl enough to melt through it the way that it should.

So I trekked off to HD aviation department and found this new 60 watt iron:

Just as I have done with other irons before, I used my scotch brite wheel to remove the sharp point which will scratch the aluminum very easily if left "as is." Then I took some 320 aluminum oxide sandpaper and smoothed the tip. Then I took what I think was a trim bundle piece that came with the wing kit and ran some tests to determine if the iron would melt the vinyl better and that it would not scratch the aluminum. It was successful on both counts. Finally I think I have an iron that will do the job easily. I then did some of the rib sections on the left wing, but determined that trying to do this with the skins on the frame with all the clecoes in the way was not the best way to go. So I will remove the skins and finish the vinyl stripping that way.
Next I wanted to show a pic of the area where the inboard and outboard skins overlap. This pic looks down from above the spar where the skins meet the spar flange, and shows the bulge that occurs in that area. the skins also also butt up against the fuel tank skins, and the overlap creates an ugly mismatch in the joint between all of them. This of course translates into additional parasite drag, and so the area is supposed to be trimmed down so that all the skins join together at a bout the same depth. It is referred to as a scarf joint. The drawings in the plans try to show what this trimming is supposed to look like from a couple of different angles, but I found that I just get confused about what I at looking at because I cannot figure out the orientation unless I stare at it for along time. Basically you only have to address the 1.5 to 2 inch square area where ALL the skins overlap at the main wing spar flange. Once the joint is trimmed down by reducing the thickness of the wing skins in that area, it should appear as though it is just one continuous thickness that should roughly match the same thickness of the fuel tank skins.





No comments:

Post a Comment