Saturday, May 24, 2014

Finally done setting up the wing stands

All 4 bottom brackets are now bolted in place, and I have all 4 plumb bobs mounted from the next cleco inboard from the one on all 4 end ribs. I chose to suspend the fish line and plumb bob from this location so that I could keep all clecoes attached to the end ribs and allow the fish line to swing freely. I will use my square to obtain the necessary measurements to determine if I need to adjust the wing for any twist. I put gorilla tape on all bracket surfaces,especially the ones that will come into contact with aluminum and steel. A nifty chart I got from Cleaveland tools along time ago shows the compatibility (or lack thereof) of various metals. Aluminum alloy attach brackets are NOT compatible with steel, and will start to react/corrode if left in contact with each other for extended periods of time.The layer of tape between the 2 surfaces should prevent that from happening.

You can't see the steel bracket too well in this first pic, which shows the the two inboard ends of each wing clamped at the rear spar attach point. These are the ends that will be adjusted if there is any twist in the wing. You can also see the two plumb bobs suspended from the clecos at the main spar:
Next are the pics of the left and right wing outboard attach points with plumb bobs suspended.







Wow. Now maybe I can start drilling wing skins again for a change. I'm tired of drilling holes in 1/4 inch thick steel. Next time I'll have some pics of a recent visit to a hangar at KFTG last week where our EAA chapter visited 2 RV-7A projects that are very close to completion. John Tetter and Lyn Langer's aircraft are looking great, and I took a lot of pics from my camera phone of everything from fuel systems to landing light and fuel tank assemblies and fittings and more. Lyn also had a backup alternator on his engine. Lyn's engine is also one that I am considering to purchase from Superior in Texas, so I spent quite a bit of time examining that.

Recent wind and weather events here in Colorado also have me contemplating my decision to build a nose wheel or tailwheel aircraft. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment