Monday, May 26, 2014

A couple more lighting improvements to the shop and continuing with drilling the skins

Thanks again to my niece's fiance Steve, who is a licensed electrician, I was able to add one more light fixture to the far side of my garage. I put in a 48 inch x 2 bulb T5 54 watt florescent fixture under my large shelf that held most of my larger wing parts all this time. I picked it up from HD after staring at it for a while and then realizing that I was almost blinded by the amount of light it was putting out. It really lights up the entire bottom side of my right wing, as well as the band saw.

Steve hard wired it to an existing light socket and switch, and now that area of the garage is completely illuminated. Now I just need to figure out how to heat the damn thing during the winter months. The holiday weekend was literally a "wash" in that we were inundated with heavy rain, wind, hail, and tornadoes. Heck, a pic of the street in front my house even made it in the Saturday newspaper with a huge funnel cloud over the school right next to my house. Scary to think that came that close to losing the house, and even more disconcerting to think that I almost lost everything I have put into the airplane. Luckily the funnel dissipated and the clouds wondered on to the north.

So not much time was spent working on the wings, except that I did manage to finish drilling the bottom left wing skins. I spent some quality time vacuuming the shop, since I had not done that in a while, and the debris from cutting and drilling the steel support brackets for the stands left my work benches covered in steel remnants. I also tried to follow another section of instructions from Vans that tell you to "draw a couple of lines on the skins that intersect the center of the holes from the wing tie down bracket."

The problem is this:
The main wing "skins" do NOT intersect the tie down hole. The bracket and the hole for the wing tie down ring are located at a point along the leading edge skins, NOT the main wing skins, and the main wing "skin" does not but  up against the leading edge skin in that location. Instead, one of the removable inspection plates is what actually butts up against the leading edge skin. SO the procedure should say to temporarily mount the inspection plate to the bottom wing skin, and take a straight edge to align the center of the tie down ring hole in the bracket to the inspection plate cover, as shown in the following pic:

The leading edge skin will butt up against the inspection plate cover, and the mark from the cover can be transferred to the leading edge skin. The LE also has a small pilot hole that was drilled very close to the access hole for the left wing, and I wondered what the extra hole was for at the time I was messing with the access hole cover plate support bracket. Now I know that this was intended as the starting point for enlarging the hole through which the tie down ring can be inserted into the tie down bracket. THe next pic shows the hole:



The idea is that Vans designed it so that the ring is removable and is stowed in the airplane to reduce drag. This hole is not an exact placement, since the position of the final hole for the ring depends on the accuracy and attachment of the holes drilled in the main wing spar and tie down bracket. Therefore you need to measure carefully and file this starting hole in the correct direction as necessary to establish the true center point of your tie down bracket hole. I'll have lots of vinyl removal and deburring and dimpling coming up, as well as leading edge prep work and some fuel tank prep work. Wow, I can't believe I am about to start prepping my fuel tanks already..... Very cool. I just wish Vans did a better job on their manual instructions for the wing section - pretty piss poor as I have said before.

No comments:

Post a Comment