Monday, February 7, 2011

214 hours on the hobbs. Left side rudder stiffeners drilled and deburred

So I managed to get the left side rudder stiffener holes drilled and deburred tonight, just in time for the next arctic winter blast to show up. I still need to debur the stiffener holes themselves, dimple them, and then rig up the C frame table and the C frame again to dimple the rudder skin on both sides where the stiffeners attach to the rudde skin. I also need to trim down the stiffener trailing edges a bit more, just like I did for the ones on the right side yesterday. I also managed to trim the vinyl off of the left side of the rudder with the soldering iron, without burning myself or anything else this time!

Looks like the weather will be nice and warm for the weekend, so the plan is to have as many things ready for priming as possible.

Then the back riveting can begin. I read a post from someone the other day on VAF who indicated that they got a much better result when placing the back rivet plate on the concrete floor instead of on the plywood work bench, and this strangely enough makes sense to me. They used towels to support the rudder skin and prevent it from being damaged on the garage floor.The rivets seem to seat much better when done this way, according to the one that posted the entry in VAF anyway. So I may give that a try when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment