Wednesday, February 2, 2011

210.5 hours on the hobbs - better post something!

.......Just so my followers don't get the idea that I am slacking off on my build or anything. (It is only 15 below zero outside after all!) This past weekend I managed to get about half of the rudder skin drilled and deburred, and I dimpled the rudder stiffeners on one side. Then the cold freeze came. I have spent the last couple days researching sites to gather more intel about the trailing edge bend and the leading edge rolling exercise. To tell you the truth, I am much more concerned about trying to use my edge rolling tool to put a small bend on about 1/4 inch of the leading edge that will overlap the other rolled leading edge skin. This is done to allow the skins to lay flat instead of curling up when the rivets are applied.

I have done some practice runs on scrap pieces with this tool, and find it very cumbersome to work with so far. I have also read posts with cautions about using this tool, saying that it can leave a wavy uneven leading edge if not done properly.

Anyway, looks like follower and fellow RV 8 builder Steve Riffe is going to help with more info about the bending process for the trailing edge. I'll tell you what, though, in my research I have found no less than about 10 different way to go about this process. Some folks insert a 1/8 inch dowel inside the fold before bending, while other apply a gap to the hinge of the bending brake. Some just honker down on the brake by hand, adn others use a clamping procedure.

I think I understand the basic process, which is NOT to bend it so far as to allow the stiffeners from the top skin to dig into the skin on the bottom. Most folks tend to not bend it far enough on the first go, but I am fairly certain that my tendancy would be to bend it too far, so I need to be careful about that. I also need to resolve questions I have about securing the skin to the bottom of the brake, securing the bottom of the brake to the bench, and how much of a gap to leave between the tip of the trailing edge and the hinges of the brake to achieve an unmarred bend with the proper radius, just to name a few.

Probably a lot of worry about nothing as long as it is done with care. But, first times for doing anything on this project are always a bit nerve racking. One thing I can always count on though, is that members of the RV community are always willing to lend a hand.

Pray for warmer weather so I can prime and finish this rudder soon! I started fiddling with the rod end bearings which are basically hinge points that attach the rudder to the VS, and I really want to see that baby swing free while I make airplane noises and such. Yeah, I'm just a big kid in a flying machine - I always have been......

KPR

No comments:

Post a Comment