Thursday, October 22, 2009

Bending HS 810 and HS 814 Angle Support Brackets for the HS



One of two angle support brackets mashed between the two wood form blocks in my vise, with the ends to be bent sticking out. Can't see it here too well but the block on the back side has the 1/8th inch radius on the corner, per the plans. a 6 degree bend is required, and this needs to be accurate so that both sides of the front spar will have the correct angle for the ribs and the skins. All it takes is a rubber mallet applied squarely at the root of the aluminum to start the bend. It only took a few wacks to get it bent as far as it needed to go. Much easier than I thought it was going to be. How did I know when I reached the 6 degree angle you might ask. Read on for the answer.....
Oh, and thanks to my buddy Ron Duren for reminding me to make the bends in the right direction. It is very easy to make a mistake if you do not think everything through at least twice before actually doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment