Monday, October 22, 2018

Fuselage damage from shipping?

About 2 days after the fuselage arrived, I started doing the inventory of all the parts, and finding places to put everything by rearranging my shelves by consolidating my remaining wing parts together to make room for all the new fuselage parts. I also started a much more thorough review the of the entire fuselage to look for any signs of damage. Unfortunately I did find a few things with the firewall that concerned me. the first was several splatters of something that dripped on my firewall that does not want to come off.

And then I found this in the bottom corner:
Obviously something had pushed on the bottom front corner of the firewall, and this in turn caused a crease up above where the bottom support angle for the floor support was located. It only creased the firewall in that area, so it was not cracked, but it causes me some concern because this area may tend to fatigue sooner than it should as a result of this. I called Vans and sent multiple pics and they ended up saying that it was "cosmetic" and not a concern. I have an email from them just in case this pans out differently. There is really no way for me to straighten any of this, and I might end up making it worse if I were to even try. I was disappointed, because just about everything else on the new fuse looks absolutely fantastic. 
When you have done this long enough, you come to realize that shipping damage is fact of life. The thing you must evaluate is something may turn into a life threatening situation for you or your passengers. Vans pointed out that the crease and the dent are in an rea that I basically a void where nothing much is going on except to provide a frame for the outer skin to wrap around the side and underneath to make up the bottom of the fuselage skin. All of the actual support structure begins just above this area, where the bottom and side angles create the structure that supports the weldments for each of the 4 engine mount bolts that hold the engine mount to the firewall. SO as long as this damage confines itself to the area it is located in now, there are no problems, I will however need to keep watching this, because if any cracking starts to form that will migrate to the upper areas of the firewall or the rivets in this area, then I have an issue that must be dealt with.

Here is another area I found, which looked like a crack in the weldment for the cross member. Vans told me that sometimes the powder coat surface will show some signs of surface cracking, but that's all that this is. They told me to take light sand paper and sand own the area to see if the crack disappears, or if it truly goes all the way to the metal. IN my case, the crack disappeared, so that was a relief. 
There was this "galling" of the landing gear in certain areas as shown below. Vans told me that this is common and is a result of sand blasting that is performed in this area of the metal for a number of reasons. It just looked strange under the powder coat. SO this one I have to take their word for it. My take on this is that as long as I treat the plane properly and do not subject anything to super hard or out of control landings, then the gear should be just fine.
And finally some pics of everything put away on shelves, including the very large curved top rear outer skin:







1 comment: