Sunday, December 3, 2017

Clecoed, Match Drilled, and Deburred All Stiffener Holes

Today I used my #40 reamer and the quick change drill to match drill all the stiffener holes. After drilling each one I had to mark them carefully to ensure that the forward and rear stiffeners are easily identified and their positions preserved, and that the bays for each of the T711-B stiffeners are correctly identified as well. Even though the holes should be the same fr similar stiffener parts, I have learned over time that it is possible for slight variations to occur, so it is best to ensure that the parts that were drilled together are able to be matched together again when the time comes for riveting.

In my previous post I was perhaps a bit premature in my statements about how close I am to completing the tank. The truth is that I have many many more preparatory steps to complete, including some fabrication of various parts, mounting of fuel pickup lines, scuffing and cleaning the contact areas for the proseal, and dimpling all the parts for rivets and screw holes, etc.

My left tank will incorporate a flop tube pick up line that I will use when performing any aerobatics, while the right tank will have a standard pickup tube. The flop tube assembly is a bit different from the standard fuel pickup assembly, but they both accomplish the same basic objective - keep fuel flowing to the engine at all times, no matter what flight attitude you may be in.

I removed and marked all the stiffeners as described above, then I deburred all the holes, including the inner and outer skin holes, and the front and rear of each set of stiffener flange holes.

So it looks like I now need to disassemble the tank parts again and begin the process of fabricating the brackets and drilling the holes for the fuel line and vent line fittings, and the filler port and fuel drain fittings, and start working on the capacitive fuel sender for the left tank.

KPR

No comments:

Post a Comment