Sunday, March 10, 2013

Transferring Wing Parts to Different Staging Areas

I managed to drill the last two conduit holes in the end ribs today, and set out to re-organize some of the parts on my shelves in the garage to prepare for other wing sub-assemblies like the leading edges, fuel tanks, ailerons, and flaps. The main wing skins have been sitting silently on one of my shelves for quite a while now. I am getting anxious to start working on them as well as the leading edges so these things can start looking like wings for a change. There is still a significant amount of work to do before that happens.

I moved the leading edge skins to the same location as my fuel tank skins so I can start working on those as soon as work benches are clear of wing spars and main ribs. I then attached the main ribs to the left wing spar again to prepare to drill and debur all the spar flange holes in each rib. There are two holes per side for a total of 4 holes per rib, times 14 ribs per wing, times 2 wings, equals a total of 56 #40 holes pe wing, or 112 total for both wings.Then you have to double that for total holes to debur since each hole has two sides. I really get depressed when I start tallying up figures like that, because the task always seems so never-ending. If you just stick to one hole at a time then eventually you get through it. Then I still have several more additional holes to drill for wire and tubing runs.

Other than that I spent the rest of today troubleshooting and researching a car problem with the mule that needs some attention. Gotta get the ride ready for Oshkosh, since it IS just right around the corner ya know! Then I had to fix the snow blower so it would be ready for the next big winter blast that comes along. Looks like it will be 70+ degrees around here by week's end. It will be real hard to focus at work this week.

As for the car, I think I need to replace my fan clutch, but it may also involve anything from a tensioner pully, idler pully, fuel pressure regulator, or engine mounts. I just try to look at these things positively as opportunities to improve my engine and systems troubleshooting skills so that I will be able to put them to good use on the plane later on. If I can figure out what is wrong with my car and fix the problem, I should be able to do the same with an airplane engine, or so I hope.

Also need to rastle me up a couple of turkey basters so I can meter the primer more efficiently in my spray gun without making such a mess when the time comes. When my Dynon Pitot tube arrives, I will need to give some serious thought to the mounting locations for everything and the length of the tubes I should use. Some builders are using the full default length, while others are trimming them down in differnt lengths. The bottom line is you want everything to be easily serviceable, and then well secured to prevent movement and fatigue from vibration or impacting parts of the pitot mast or the wing.

So the shop is pretty much ready to rock, and the weather should be getting warmer for the most part. Sounds like time for building and flying to me. Need to get back in the Citabria again but it may be down for another week or two to finish a fairly major wing skin patch job that needed to be done. So who wants to go flying?!




No comments:

Post a Comment