Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pitot tube arrived!

I got my Dynon Pitot Tube today. I consider it an early birthday present, and easter present, and christmas present......well, you I am sure you get the idea. It comes with a microprocessor-controlled heat controller unit that will also be mounted somewhere in the wing. I think this is the unit that some folks are mounting on the inside of the inspection cover so that it is easily accessible for servicing/repair/or replacing as necessary. Of course the pitot tube itself also needs to be serviceable as well. Here is the pitot and the controller unit:


The long tubes coming out the top are 3/16" OD, and these are the tubes that will have to be flanged to accept the AN hardware fitting that will attach the plastic air lines to the pitot tube. The controller unit is electrically attached to the wiring coming out of the pitot tube, and the other wires are then routed back to the fuselage where a circuit breaker and a switch will complete the circuit. I also found some small 6 inch long 3/16 inch OD aluminum tubing at Lowes so I can practice making flared flanges with my flanging tool. They are not as thick-walled as the tubing in the pitot tube, so it might not work the way I want it to, but at least it will give me something to practice on.

I will need to determine the length to trim the tubes down to so that everything can be mounted correctly to provide proper clearance and security of the air lines. I like Steve Riffe's implementation for this but have also seen a couple of others that I like as well. How willing I am to trim down the tubes will depend entirely on how well I think I can make the flanges without messing them up.

Next is a pic of the tube as it will look after installing it in the mounting bracket:


Pretty sexy, huh? Can't wait to see it on the wing.

I am still waiting on the bung kits for my fuel tanks, and I should have those in a week or so. I still can't get used to calling them that, but that is apparently what they are called. All they are is a couple of flange fittings that will go on the outboard end of the fuel tanks so that if I ever decide to add the extended range fuel tanks I will already have a fuel line attach point from the fuel pump to the main tanks. Next I am going to start focusing my attention on some lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment