Sunday, December 30, 2012

Wing Cradle Done - Well Almost....

I was able to finish mounting the cross members on the spar side of the wing cradle today, and I also mounted the four furniture dollies so that it now has wheels. I was then able to re-arrange everything on the one side of the garage  so that it fits neatly out of the way until I have some wings to actually slip on to it. I still need to cut some slots on the spar side for the main wing spar to rest on, and figure out how to attach the carpet remnant on both ends, but that can wait a bit I think.

Here is set of pics showing the almost finished cradle:





 
Next on the list is to make a couple of supports that are used to attach and match drill the leading edge skins for the wings and fuel tanks.  Then I can work on the final grinding and prep of each of the four wing stands. And then I can work on clearing off the mess on both of my work benches so I can get the main wing spars off of the shelf and start match drilling them. It's nice to be focusing on building again for a change, even if it is cold as hell outside. If anybody has or knows of a way for me to get cheap or free 24 inch wide R38 faced Owens Corning insulation for the garage I am all ears. Otherwise that little project promises to cost me upwards of $1,000.00. The last pick also shows the space where I will be mounting two of the four wing stands, so as I progress this same shot will start to show a wing in progress hopefully in the not-to-distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment