Thursday, December 13, 2012

Using available resources

"Normal" people would look at this next photo and say .."so what, it's a box." Builders of experimental airplanes would look at this and say "...Cool! another box I can use for priming large parts!"


Actually, this is the box that the new screen door came in that I am currently in the process of installing on my front door, part of which can be seen in the background. As I was opening it up, two things struck me:

1. This is quite a large piece of cardboard
2. This should make at least one, and possibly even two separate priming tables that will be able to hold a large number of wing parts.

The next step in the build from where I left off long ago is to scuff, clean, and prime all of those straightened wing ribs. This will require a lot of elbow grease and probably several days to complete. One thing that helps to complete this work is to have a large enough work area to setup adn prime all the parts without having to do them in smaller batches at a time. This box will allow me to place several ribs on it, and with this and the two other priming tables I already have, I shold be able to get the priming work done fairly quickly. I will need to make another box frame with more wire fencing, and then I can proceed.

It's funny how events of every day life can sometimes generate opportunities to help complete this project. Time to start building an airplane again. The new goal will be for both wings and both fuel tanks to be complete by the time Oshkosh 2013 rolls around next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment