Wednesday, December 15, 2010

172 hours - Cleaning and Priming the VS parts

Finally got the skeleton of the VS primed tonight. I'll add pics tomorrow. I used the same process as as I did for the HS - hang the parts, prep the primer and the spray gun, prime the parts, then wash, rinse, and repeat. The amount of dirt and grime that comes off the parts when wiped down with a microfiber cloth and acetone still amazes me. You have to keep cleaning the part until all that grime no longer shows up on the cloth, to ensure that the primer will adhere correctly and will not come off. Full respirator gear is also required for the acid etching primer that I am continuing to use. As long as it is mixed correctly it seems to go on fairly well.

Next is the masking of the inside of the VS skin and spraying of the 7220 etching primer where the frame will contact the skin when everything is riveted in place. Again, it's the same process I used for the HS. Then it's finally "pounding rivet" time again! The goal this time will be to keep from marring the skin up so much and to avoid denting the skin like I did last time when I started riveting the HS.

The completion of the rudder assembly will follow soon after, and then the right and left elevators. I'm really itching to get started on the wings!

1 comment: