Saturday, November 14, 2009

Joined Chapter 301

So, after attempting for the past 6 months to visit another local EAA Chapter, Chapter 301, I finally made it. What a great time that was - I met the pilot of "Rare Bear," a highly modified F8F Bearcat fighter aircraft from WWII. This is a long time crowd favorite of the Reno Air Races. If you think what I am doing is crazy, you should have heard all of the things they have done to that aircraft just to get a few more knots of airspeed out of her to win the race - it would boggle your mind. I got his autograph. More importantly, I joined Chapter 301. I also met some old friends - including Jack Buschmann, a former Civil Air Patrol Colorado Wing Commander, and a old CFI that I used to work with named Roger. Jack announced that he just finished his DAR final airworthiness inspection after working on a quickbuild RV7 for the past 2 years, and just got his signed paperwork that same day! Now he has to finish putting it back together and conduct the test flying period required by the FAA. I can only imagine being at that stage of the build for my own aircraft. Totally cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment