Sunday, January 31, 2021

Making a Rotisserie for the Fuselage - Part 1

 While I continue to review my parts situation for the wings to prepare to place a new order with Vans and other vendors, I caught an ad from Harbor Freight a couple of weeks ago for a 1,000 pound capacity Engine Stand that many builders have used as a rotating rotisserie for the RV-8 fuselage. The rotisserie is mainly used as a back-saving tool while assembling many of the parts and components of the cockpit interior and floor panels. It may also come in very handy if I decide to paint my own airplane, which I am once again heavily considering. I have a new idea for a paint job for this airplane that so far seems to be pretty unique. That's all that I am willing to share about that for now, in the interest of keeping it as unique as possible. :)

 I have reviewed numerous other build logs from other builders, but I still rely most heavily on the log from Steve Riffe, who has been flying his airplane now for about 3.5 years or so. He used the same engine stand for his fuselage, and he also learned about this from other builders. While looking at pics of his engine stand, I noticed that the frame design is different, because I think they change designs every so often for the same product. Changes are mainly with how the wheels are attached to the base, and how the support bracket that attaches to the vertical bar and the horizontal bar to add support to that critical area is constructed. I purchased the stand brand new from HF for under $70.00. It requires minor assembly, but the parts are heavy, so be prepared.

Since the QB fuse as delivered by VANs only weights between 150-200 pounds max (if that), this 1,000 lb. stand is more than sufficient for the job. the main issue is the length of the fuse, which creates a long moment (Remember your weight and balance training - WxA=M). This means that if the tail is unsupported while the front is suspended by the engine stand, all of that weight along the entire length of the fuselage has to be supported by the stand and its attach points to the firewall. The idea is to use the stand in the front, and lay the tail down on a small saw horse, milk carton, or custom-built wood stand as needed, so the weight that must be supported by the stand itself is minimized as much as possible. I also wanted this particular stand instead of other available models because it has the additional lateral wheel bracket in the front, which helps provide some additional lateral stability to the fuselage when mounted on the stand. 

The main problem I encountered when considering this, is a lack of  a detailed information about the hardware used. So I will attempt to solve that problem. As always, keep in mind that I make no claim of suitability or guarantee that your results will match mine, so you are responsible for determining if thi will work for you or not. YMMV. 

Here is a pic of the assembled HF Engine stand, ready to be converted to a fuselage stand:


I used my yellow angle finder tool to determine the angle of the vertical post and the base support leg, since the angle is not 90 degrees. Most folks remove the front wheels of the stand to bring the vertical post closer to 90 degrees, so that it aligns vertically with the firewall when mounted to the stand. This needs to be done so that it does not put any undo stress on the firewall when mounted to the stand, which would be very bad. 

Since the wheel brackets on mine seem to be a little higher than others, I may need to compensate for that a little by raising the front up a little more with wood shims, but time will tell on that. The angle I measured is almost exactly 5 degrees, although in the above pic it  appears to be much greater than that. 


The rotating bracket that comes with the stand that the firewall will be mounted to comes with 4 "spider leg" attachments that are normally used for running heavy bolts through the spacers or lugs at one end of each arm that then screw into the back of a car engine. 2 of the arms are shown in the pic below.


The mounting plate has slotted holes to allow the location of the spiders to be positioned so that they match the mounting holes on the engine. Unfortunately we have to change this up a bit to modify this assembly for use with the fuselage, but it is not too difficult to do. I will still use the spider arms, but they will be attached to the ends of some angle iron that is cut to the correct length to act as an extension, so that the mounting plate remains near the center of the firewall, while the spiders will be bolted to the 4 holes in each corner of the engine mount holes and brackets behind the firewall, AND to the angle iron extensions. 

Similar to Steve, I decided to use AN hardware for most of the attach points for the spiders to the firewall/engine mount brackets, which have a minimum 125,000 lbs. of tensile strength, to ensure that the bracket has enough strength to stay attached to the firewall the entire time. The immediate problem that has to be overcome is that the stand comes with very large metric bolts. 

Unfortunately, when Vans builds the QB fuselage, all the engine mount holes are only pre-drilled to 3/16ths of  an inch, which is the smallest AN bolt diameter you can obtain before having to revert to screws. Furthermore, if you read ahead in the VAF forums and the Vans instructions for the Fuselage assembly, you will find that they say NOT to drill out those engine mount holes until you have the actual engine mount in your possession, so you can use it as a drill guide. 

This is necessary because the weldments for every engine mount vary a bit from one to the other, so you are not supposed to up-size the bolt holes without the engine mount to ensure the holes are drilled out correctly. The engine mount bolts are 3/8 inches thick, or AN-6 I  think, so they are substantially larger than 3/16 inches. Since I do not have my engine mount yet, I did not want to upsize the holes, but I was also concerned that this would mean that only AN3 sized-hardware would be attached to each existing hole. 

Steve informed me that he did exactly that - used the AN3 bolts in each corner, and he had no issues with anything while using the rotisserie. I also contacted Vans about this, and they said it would probably be OK to upsize the holes about half way in between the current size and the final size, since most engine mount holes may only vary by a max of 1/8 of an inch or less from each other. They also thought that AN 3 bolts would be "a little light. 

Other builders decided to drill up to AN 4 bolt holes, and I think I saw others yet again that drilled them out the final AN 6 size. At the end of the day, I decided to stay with the AN3 bolts to avoid upsizing the bolt holes without the engine mount. Steve said he had no issues, and the reality is that all the other bolts used in the assembly are the same beefy ones provided with the engine mount. So I think his will be fine.

With that decided, there is another  problem that I felt I needed to solve. While the AN 3 bolts will precisely fit in the predrilled holes in the firewall, the predrilled holes in each spider leg are extremely large, I was concerned about running such a small sized bolt through the large hole in the spacer lug in the spider leg, without having some kind of additional support for the bolt shank. So, similar to another builder (I am sorry I did not capture his build log) I decided to cut a wood dowel to the correct length to fit inside the lug or extension, and insert it into the larger hole in each spider. It turns out that a 5/8 inch dowel from HD aircraft supply works very nicely here, at least as far as the fit into the spider lug is concerned. I measured and then cut the 5/8 inch dowel into 4 separate 1 1/2 inch long inserts using my bandsaw, as shown below.



After you have cut the spacers, the next step is to take a rubber mallet and tap them into "submission" into each lug hole:



IT turns out to be a very nice "press" fit. Each dowel is only long enough to reach the base of the lug where it is welded to the spider arm. The dowel will not fit all the way to the bottom of the arm because the holes from the lug that they welded to the top of the bar are not the same size. The holes in the bar are a little smaller, so they will stop at that point.

Now for the hard part. The next step was to drill out  a 3/16 inch hole in the center of each dowel.  I won't lie, for me this turned out to be a bit of a nightmare, because I found out that dowels do not like to allow a drill bit to follow a straight path from one end to the other. All of initial holes I drilled ended up being misaligned, and I ended up having to continue "custom" drilling each hole in the dowels to "force" them to run more or less from center to center. Basically that means I had to enlarge the hole a bit by using a drill bit to gouge out the holes. 

I also needed to create a few replacement dowels, because the hole drilling went so badly that I could not salvage the insert. I tried using my massive large drill press first. It vibrates badly, and I cannot figure out how to secure things very well to the stupid drill table. After a few attempts with the drill press, I gave up and decided to try it free hand.

First I tried to put it in my table vise vertically - same result. the drill bit would meet the wood and instantly take its own undesirable path to the other end of the dowel.


 Then I tried putting them flat on a drill board and clamping then down with bar clamps:


I originally started with a #40 drill bit, then followed with a #30, followed by a 3/16th inch drill bit for final drilling. This also did not work very well for me. The hole on one end starts out centered, and the hole in the opposite end is completely uncentered and off to one side. I even used my center punch to try to start the hole in the exact center of each dowel, and this did not help much either.


Here are the results of several attempts. This side looks OK:


But not this side:



Example of extra gouging:

About as badly aligned as it can get:

At the end of it all I decided to put my 3/16 inch drill bit into my cordless drill, and after drilling the initial hole, I manually "corrected" any offset in each hole by gouging it out with the drill as best I could.  Then I ran each bolt through the holes to check for centering. it does not need to be absolutely perfect, but I wanted it as close as possible to avoid and excess stress on any of the bolts, or the points where they are attached.  Here are the end results:


Here is an example, taken before I made and drilled the dowel inserts, of the upper left corner of the firewall/engine mount hole, and how the spiders are attached to it. The lower end will be attached to the angle iron:


And here is pic that l also do not see in anyone's build log - how the bolt attachment appears on the inside of the engine mount hole, taken from the rear of the firewall, where the bolt protrudes through the predrilled hole from the factory:


More on the remaining assembly in the next post..

No comments:

Post a Comment