Thursday, March 28, 2019

More Nutplate Hell and Creative Clamping

After several days I was finally able to finish riveting all 20 nutplates to the subskin. Man did that turn into a royal pain in the ass. As of the previous post I had made it to the last side and had messed up the rivets on the last, most-forward nutplate along the edge. This is where the skin starts to curve at the very front, which makes trying to set straight rivets with a rivet squeezer a bit of a challenge. I think I managed to finally get it after drilling bad rivets out a couple of times.

With the side nutplates installed, it was now time to tackle the hard part - the remaining rear-most nutplates on the top and bottom sides of the subskin. I could not use a rivet squeezer on these because they are too deep into the center section of the subskin for any of my squeezer yokes to reach. SO that meant that it was time get out the rivet gun and the bucking bar - something that I have not done for a very, very long time.

I decided I did not think I needed to practice on anything, because I was able to get the air pressure setting correct for the rivet gun. Looking back I wish I would have been more experienced about that when I riveted the horizontal stabilizer skins onto the frame. It hangs up on the wall in my garage so that every time I walk in I have to look at it, and I cringe every time that I do. That is because I literally beat the shit out those skins because my pressure was too high, and almost every rivet attaching the skin to the forward spars has this large skin dimple from over hammering the rivet gun on the skin. By the time I got to the elevators I had pretty much figured that out, but I literally pounded the HS skins almost to death..

Anyway, with the air pressure set on the gun, the next step was to figure out how to clamp everything down tight. I ended up deciding that using my bench vise should allow me to set everything up to use both hands to buck these rivets without needing to worry about securing or holding the part. Here are some pics if what I came up with. IT involved the bench vise, a small 2x4 for the smooth front side of the skin, and a custom sized much smaller piece of 3/4 inch plywood for the back side. All of this had to be positioned very carefully to ensure that there was enough space for the rivet gun and bucking bar, and to allow everything to be clamped tightly down without deforming any dimples in the skin. With so many dimpled rivet holes in this custom part, this became a challenge at times.

The top part of the skin was easier because there were not as many holes to dodge while clamping it all down:
I used a bar clamp to provide stiffness and resistance on the top part of the skin. This was the difficult part of trying to use the bench vise for this large piece of aluminum. The vise only provides a small amount of depth, so the top part of the skin remains very flimsy unless it reinforced with something such as the wood that I used.

On the front side I had to make sure there was enough room for the rivet gun:

And here is shot of the back showing how I had to be careful about the size of he wood  used and how it was positioned to avoid smashing or deforming any existing dimples. The other concern was of course making sure that I had enough room to use the bucking bar. This did not prove to be much of a problem until I got to the corners where the first side nutplate is located relatively close to the rear-edge nut plate in the corner. 
And here is yet another creative clamping method where I was able to use the access plate hole on the bottom side to insert another bar clamp for added stiffness. 

The stiffness is needed because, regardless of who you may talk to or what you may read in a book, you HAVE TO apply some pressure on the rivet gun and the skin to ensure that it will NOT bounce when the rivet gun is activated. This is what directly causes badly set manufactured rivet heads where they sit noticeably proud of the dimple because the underlying skin was allowed to flex and bend each time the rivet set was pounding against the skin. The part needs to be clamped in such a way that any movement of the part is severely restricted. This is the only way that you are able to buck good quality rivets. Sometimes the temptation is such that you do not take the necessary steps to ensure that everything is properly clamped. Then you basically pay the price for the mistake, and you have to drill out bad rivets and try again.

I was able to get all of the nutplates riveted in place, except of course for the very last one, which was a corner nut plate on the bottom side of the subskin. This one proved to be so difficult that I think I drilled the rivets at least 4 times and replaced the nutplate once because it was deformed beyond acceptable limits on one side or the other. I think I must have drilled out no less than a dozen rivets and replaced 3 nutplates during this whole exercise. The top side ones went pretty well, but the bottom side was another story. In fact, I had screwed up the rivets on the last nut plate so many times that the shape and condition of the dimples in the subskin. it was so bad that I was now unable to secure the nutplate in place with a cleco so that the flange on the nutplate would sit flush against the skin. I had to start using tape to hold it in place. When this did not even work, I had to take out my other arsenal of tools. Luckily I was able to use my 4 inch no hole yoke on the bad nutplate on the bottom of the skin. I mounted it on the hand squeezer because I was not having any luck with the gun and bucking bar, and the pneumatic squeezer was too bulky to fit as well. 

So my only choice was to use the hand squeezer so that I could position it and take my time to set the first rivet to make certain I did it correctly. I was able to set the first rivet on one flange just enough to hold it in place where I could then finish it up with the gun and bucking bar. The manufactured head of the rivet ended up sitting just proud of the skin on one side, but I had a plan for addressing that. Part of the plan was to try to use the rivet gun to move it a bit more flush to the skin - this only partially worked.

With the first rivet set as well as could be expected, I then was able to properly set the second rivet with the rivet gun and bucking bar. The corner rivets only allowed just enough room to insert my small tungsten bar in between the two nutplate flanges on the corner. One slip and the rivet, skin, and nutplate would be history. In fact, he bar did slip one time and slightly creased the skin, but I deemed it as OK since it was a dull crease with no apparent stress risers, which means I just barely stopped the rivet gun in time. Had I not done so this entire subskin and the planned project would have come to a screeching halt.

Here re the pics of the finished nutplate rivets on the ear side of the skin. First the nicely set ones on the top side:
And then the less-nicely set ones on the bottom side. Some of the primer was knocked away from all the repeated pounding from multiple attempts to set the rivets, and if you double click on the pic you can see it in more detail and tell very easily which rivets caused me the most trouble. 

And here is the back side of the nutplates all riveted together.

Now, remember that slightly proud rivet I mentioned earlier? Well, here was my solution for that. A long time ago I was at Harbor Freight, an I just happened to stumble on this next little gem - a watchmakers hammer. I used the round headed side of this hammer to lightly tap on the edge of the rivet that was sitting proud, and I was able to get it to sit much more flush after just a few taps with this hammer. This hammer was critical for this because the small size and weight of the ball end of this hammer was just about perfect for ensuring that it only contacts the surface of the rivet head and not the surrounding skin. If it was too large it would dent the surrounding skin, but I found this little hammer to work exactly as I thought it would:
And finally, here is just a small sampling of all the tools  ended up using to accomplish this seemingly small task. As I said before, most of this was pleasant to work on, but those few times when things got difficult, they got VERY difficult. I could not risk damaging or screwing up the subskin because it has required so much customization that there was no way at all that I would be able to take the time to try to fabricate a new one, nor would I even want to. If that part were to be compromised beyond use or repair, I would abandon the entire modification and return to a stock LE without even looking back. Too much time and too many delays with this to even think about starting it all over again.
And here is he pile of drilled out rivets and damaged nut plates that I had to drill out and replace, sometimes repeatedly:
So yeah, I got really good at drilling out AN426 rivets again, too. Anyway, I was able to pound some rivets again, so that is always good. And, more importantly, that step is now complete, which allows me to move on to the next step. 

So next up s to remove all the remaining internal sections of vinyl covering on the inside of the LE skin that I have left in place all this time. Unfortunately this is proving to be difficult, because some of he overspray from the epoxy primer that I used has hardened the vinyl in those areas, and as a result is very difficult to pry up a corner of the vinyl and keep it going so that I can remove the entire thing without it breaking apart. That vinyl has also been stuck to the skin since 2010 when I ordered the wing kit, and I already know that the longer it stays on the glue makes it harder to remove as it gets older.

After that vinyl gets removed it is finally time to rivet the left wing LE together. Great  - more curved surfaces t deal with. I can hardly wait...….

KPR

No comments:

Post a Comment