Monday, April 10, 2017

Been busy preparing for more metal work

For the past week and a half I have been "re-acquainting" myself with my build. I've been dong lots of research on various things, and I am getting ready to place an order with Vans and Aircraft Spruce for a variety of things. Other than getting my pitot mast resized and re-drilled, I have been:

  • Researching and reviewing my SafeAir pitot/static line kit, and reading about all kinds of static source issues and solutions for various installations. I'm trying to figure out if I am going to use the supplied static ports from the SafeAir kit, or get the ones from Cleaveland Tools.
  • Reviewing instructions for my SafeAir Bung kit for the fuel tanks, and my access panel kit for the leading edge. These are the line connecton ports on the outboard side of each tank that will allow me to connect supplemental fuel tanks after I complete the build
  • Deciding if I am going to install the stall warning kit from Vans in the left wing. Right now I think the answer is no, as I will be using an AOA indicator with both visual and aural indications. I'm still conflicted by this a bit, since the AOA is a purely electronic solution, and susceptible to failures, and the stall warning vane is electro-mechanical.
  • Deciding the location of my pitot mast on the wing and designing a backing plate for it
  • Removed the leading edge from left wing to expose my modified LE rib, right where I left it almost 2 years ago. Lots of flange riveting to do yet.
  • Finally determined what to do about the rib flanges that attach to the skin. My custom built rib does not have the same rivet pattern on the very last hole that attaches the skin to the LE rib closest to the wing spar, and then to the wing spar flange. Instead of making a flange extension using a dongle technique, (see my old posts on this) I just need to trim the last part of the rib flange off to remove the drill hole on the very end of the flange, and measure and drill a new hole in the wing skin and the rib flange, followed by one more additional rivet in the skin and wing spar. Basically I will create new rivet holes that match the hole pattern for that rib in its stock position on the inboard side of the LE. I know I know, pics of all this will be easier to understand. Stay tuned.
  • Reviewed my landing, position, and strobe light assembly and wiring instructions. Posted to VAF to get pics of the inside of the wing tips with the same light and antenna setup that I am planning for my bird.
  • Reviewed lots of VAF posts about antenna placement and wiring. I mean LOTS!
  • Gonna order the composite practice kit from Aircraft Spruce, and some hinges and other assorted metal from Vans. Time to get the hands dirty.
  • Starting to put together my list for a quickbuild RV-8 fuselage kit. That's gonna come in a really big box!
  • Starting to measure out the cuts that I will need to make in my sub-skin mod so I can put that in its final form so I can finally prime and mount the left wing LE.  
  • I need to recheck and correct for twist in the wing frames. Spot checks show that things are mainly level, but I think they need to be tweaked a bit. I may need some help with that.
The main goal of this was to re-address my issues with the LE from long ago, and make some decisions so I can move on. I think I have figured all that out now, so its time to measure, cut, file, and smooth some metal, and then drill and debur a few holes. Piece of cake man!

No comments:

Post a Comment