Sunday, October 20, 2013

Local Area RV Group Halloween-Themed Movie Night - Scary Fantastic Time!

Kudos to the folks that decided the time was right to put together a movie night at the traditional location at Gary Zillik's Hangar at KFTG. What was somewhat UN-traditional about this one is that it was a total Halloween - themed party AND movie night, complete with scary food and drink, and yes, even a scary movie or two to cap it all off.

It seems to have been a very busy and event-filled year for just about everyone that I know. As a result, this was the first movie night for the entire year that was held at the Zilik Hangar, and about the only one I know of that was put together at all by anyone in the local area. The timing could not have been better, as it seemed that everyone was ready for a good bit of Halloween fun.

Little did I know that the spiders in charge of this event were planning to make it a much more special occasion that I was expecting. The first clue that this was going to be a really fun evening was when we walked in the door of the hangar, and this is what we saw:


Wow! A fully decked out table setting - Halloween style! How cool was that.

Some of the aircraft that call this hangar their "home" had been moved outside to allow the masses of ghouls and goblins to infiltrate the space for a short time. Here is the "theater" seating arrangement:

And a glimpse of the Movie screen to give a truly wide screen feel:
Next was the food table. Deb had mentioned that sub sandwich fixings would be provided, and if anyone wanted to bring a dish they certainly could. Then she provided a small list of Halloween-themed dishes, and wow, did the group ever deliver on that!There was not a single inch of space left on the entire work bench!

When she said "sub sandwich meats," I had no idea they would look like this. Do I REALLY want to make a sandwich out of this????!!!:
Now for a tour of the other food items.First was a spider web 7 layer dip:
I think this next one came from the Rettig family - Caprese eyeballs I think they were called. Very tasty by the way:

Next was a healthy supply of salty bones. To the right of the bones is my contribution - Monster brain stuffed mushrooms. Ed. Note - there was nothing to bring home - everyone loved eating all the monster brains! Not sure what that says about pilot-types!:

Next were some bloodshot eyeball eggs. When I pause to try to figure out how these were made I realize that these must have taken considerable time to prepare.What truly and amazingly talented folks we have in this little RV group of ours!
What? A pumkin-orange you say? Believe me, they really DO exist!
Bloody cheese and crackers, anyone?
Purple people eater cake, anyone? All I can say is - I shouldn't have, but I did. This was at least a 3 or 4 layer cake - filled with all kinds of yummy no-so-good-for-you frosting and fillings. My taste buds could not decide which part of this thing they liked best - they just kept saying "MORE PLEASE!"
Fruit punch from the caldron,anyone? All I was told is that this was supposed to be an "adult" beverage. Everyone knows there are no "adults" in a room full of pilots, but I decided to have some anyway. Very tasty!
How about some slime sauce with your apples?
There were lots of spider webs at this party. I really have to tell the hangar hosts to do a better job of cleaning up before we all show up!
Creature cup cake anyone?
All I can say about this next dish is WOW! Are these potatoes? Apples? Something else? Whatever they are, someone in our group is a true Halloween artist. How cool was this?:
This next dish was so scary-looking that I was afraid to eat one. They were "finger" licking good though....


Whew! Now that I got through all that, how about a few normal human shots-well mostly anyway.....

Adam and his girl friend. This also happened to be Adam's birthday, and so we made certain that he was adequately embarassed when the whole group sang happy birthday to him. Happy birthday son!!
Next was the star of the show in the lady bug outfit, in the company of parents Mike and Aneta Rettig, taken while on a pretend flight in Gary's RV-6A that is affectionately know as "PAPA ZULU."
And finally a pic of what can happen to you if you are not careful when using riveting tools! Sean Blair posing as "The Rivet Man". Way cool Sean! Before the party, how on earth did you????? More importantly, after the party,  How on earth did you....? Whether putting them on or taking them off, it all looks painful to me! This is a best costume award as far as I am concerned. Also note the red bags under the eyes. This is a sure sign that you are working way to many hours on an airplane. All airplane builders should take note of these tale-tale signs of "builder fatigue," and also take note that the only way to cure this problem is to ocassionally stop working on the airplane, grab a beer, and just relax!

 
Gary and Carolyn and Scott and Deb, and all the rest of you that I am sure contributed to such a fantastic time, thank you so much for deciding to put this together. After everyone was well fed on all the Halloween feast, the movie Ghost Busters was served. It was fun to see that movie again in its uncut full feature version.

Deb and I were discussing the party after the movie, and we already started talking about next year. She then said that she just wasn't sure how they would top this for next year. I told here not to worry about topping anything. This was such a wonderful time that I simply told her that I am down for a complete repeat of this same thing next year. Many of us needed a break for some fun after a long hard year, and you guys delivered in spades! (Halloween pun intended!)

No comments:

Post a Comment