Sunday, October 20, 2013

Latest Major Distraction Out of the Way - Getting Ready to Build Again

This will be the only reference I make to a project that literally almost brought me to my knees and severely crippled my ability to work on the plane. A before and after pic of the upstairs bathroom should take care of it, and then it is time to talk airplane building again.

Before the remodel from hell:


And after:

Took way too long and cost way too much in time, money, and sanity,but it is done. Still have a downstairs mess to take care of but will tackle that next year AFTER my wings are done.

Yesterday I finally managed to put together my new large paint table. One of the things that all the bathroom stuff did provide as a small contribution for the airplane build, was a very big box that the downstairs shower kit came in. I saved this box with intent of turning it into a very large paint table that I can use to prep and prime many large wing parts at the same time.

I used 36inch wide 2x4 inch wire fencing that has been laying around the house forever doing basically nothing, some 1x3 lumber, and a variety of different screws to complete the project yesterday. Just as was the case for the smaller table I built, the hard part about this is stretching the fencing out tight enough so that it will not sag when all the parts are placed on it.

I also had to close up the open end of the box on one side by using a short 2x2 piece of wood and some gorilla tape. This paint table should serve me well for many other priming and painting sessions to come. I started by cutting the top off, then I cut the flap on the end of that piece off and taped it to the end of the table. Then I measured, cut and screwed the wood frame together, then attached it with screws to the cardboard,and then cut, fit, and attached the wire fencing to the wood frame that surrounds the cardboard box.Simple but effective.Still, this is a very large item that I will have to be able to store safely somewhere.




Next step - prepare to get very sore arms and hands after all the scuffing, cleaning,and priming  of the wing ribs. All this while the next winter storm is bearing down on me. Great, just great! But, hey, at least I am building a plane again.


No comments:

Post a Comment