Monday, April 29, 2013

Just Sanding Dust Today

Nothing too dramatic today. I managed to get out after work and grab my drill with a drum sanding attachment and went to work on my Leading edge jig (its actually more of a support stand than a jig). I sure wish I would have resolved my padding solution before I cut the panels with the jig saw. Sometimes I am so precise with my measurements that they are bit too precise. I had a percect fit for my leading edge ribs, but absolutely no additional space for the .025 inch thick wing skins or the anti scuff material around the edges of the supports. Needless to say there is a lot of sanding dust in the garage now, and since I free handed the additional wood removal with the sanding drum on the drill, I have very uneven gaps along the edges of the supports.

Vans says this is all that is needed since all you are doing is supporting the match drilled leading edge assembly. Problem is that there are a lot of posts from builders who have experienced the difficulties of trying to cleco all the holes in the skins to the ribs. Everyone seems to be able to get one side done relatively easy, and then struggles with the wrap around and clecoeing of the other side. Most builders have reported that a different method than what Vans describes is wht works best, i.e. working from the nose rearward or vices versa. Anyway, as soon as I get the supports widened up a bit more I will tiral fit the skin and the LE ribs and get to see for myself how this will go.Getting ready for one more blast of winter around here for the next couple of days (was 80 degree today - sigh......). Can't wait to get my LE mock up put together so I can finish the gun ports.

No comments:

Post a Comment