Monday, February 11, 2013

Threaded Rod brackets, Cont'd.

Tonight I managed to brave the cold long enough to cut the remaining 7 bracket angles from the 1.5 x1.5 x 1/8 inch thick aluminum angle I used as a backer plate when I drilled the nut plates for the wing spars. I needed 7 more for  a total 8. This is 2 per side, 2 sides per stand, and 2 sets of stands. I was able to find enough width in between nut plate holes to satisfy the requirements for each angle bracket. Most of them are between 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 inch wide, and this is fine.

Here are the raw blanks after I measured and cut them on my band saw. I really love my full sized band saw. The standard wood blade that it came with does a fine job cutting medium to heavy gage aluminum like butter. Do not use it to cut thin aluminum sheet, though.


Since the angle was a bit too long on both edges for my needs, I trimmed both ends another 1/4 inch, and ran them over mt scotch brite wheel to debur the cut edges, which are measured and marked in this next photo:


Then I measured both sides for the center point, and took the washers I am using for the 1/4 inch mounting bolt and the 5/16 inch threaded rod, and drew the pattern for each washer on the angles. Each bracket will have one 1/4 inch hole on one side and one 5/16 inch hole on the other side.


The finished "prototype" is in the foreground in the above pic. All I need to do now is drill the holes and finish trimming each one. Then all I need to do to finish up is drill the holes in the remaining angle supports and wing stands and I will finally be ready to support the wings on each stand. Man what a process this is. It's alot of work, but well worth it in my opinion. I can't wait to put it to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment