Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Wings 84, Total 547 - Deburring Leading Edge Ribs

And the never ending Wing rib deburring process commences. I finally got the window in my trailer repaired, and so I took some time to get that re-installed on the trailer. Afterward, I was able to spend about an hour smoothing out the forward cut out sections of some of the leading edge ribs. Vans explains in the instructions to ensure that the contours of the front end of the nose ribs are smooth. IN their raw form, if you rin your fingers over this section of the rib, you can feel the uneven-ness of each of small sections of each cutout. I used a combination of the scotchbrite wheel and some aluminum oxide 220 grit sand paper to make these sections as smooth as I could without compromising too much metal.

Doing this allows the nose ribs to be positioned and aligned with the holes in the skins without getting caught on the skin surface. I did reduce the thickness of the the metal on some of these cutouts to accomplish this, but it was necessary to achieve a reasonably smooth surface over that part of the rib.

Here are some pics of the process:





I did quite a bit of surfing VAF last night to find out more about what type of Conduit connectors are available for use in setting up my wire runs for each wing. I will post more about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment