Thursday, August 30, 2012

Tailwheel lesson 4 - A bit of a struggle today

So the plan was to introduce me to wheel landings today. I was a little more tired than usual this morning, and I had a rough night after eating something that obviously did not agree with me yesterday. That said, I felt well enough to try to tackle another flight in the Citabria, which I enjoy flying more and more each day.

It started out with what I think was a trainee ground controller on the radio. We had clearance to taxit to the C1 taxiway next to runway 10 to do our engine runup, and then I called back to ground to let them know that the runup was complete and we were ready to takeoff runway 10. He trying to tell me that I cleared to taxi back to the reamp, and then both me and my instructor got into another confusing discussion with him about because he kept clearing us to taxi to park, when I expected him to tell us to monitor toweer frquency. After we finally got that cleared up we were cleared to take off runway 10 and the plan was to remain in the traffic pattern for runway 17R. I was also aware via notams I received during my briefing from flight service that the other primary runway at KAPA (17L and 35R) was supposed to closed,  but apparently learned that this was not going to happen until 7:30, so we had time to get a few landings in.

The plan was to do one or two 3 point landings to get warmed up, and then we would start working on the heel landings. Winds were slightly out of the southeast at a bout 4 knots, so not too bad of a crosswind. My first landing pretty much sucked - landing was OK, but directional control afterward really sucked. THe second one turned out much better, so off we went around the pattern to start working on the wheel landings. The first step was to simply fly the plane level a couple of feet off the runway for a period of time to get used to the sight picture and speeds, etc. Once this was done we proceeded around the pattern for my first wheel landing attempt.

I approached the landing point, leveled out, added a little bit of power to arrest the descent, adn then got the first bounce of the landing gear, followed by power off, adn then came the fun part of pushing forward on the stick to adhere the wheels to the runway and not allow them to come back up. THis is where it all started going not so good. I could not get the muscle motor function down to reduce the power with one hand AND push forward _and I mean WAY forward on the stick to plan the wheels on the surface. I was a bit confused as to how to handle the slight bounce of the wheels - go around? let it settle again nad then apply the forward stick? So I ended up not getting the stick pushed forward quite enough and pretty much did not do that landing very well.

Then we tried another one and I still had the same problem. Then, just before the other runway was about to close, I was on one last takeoff run. the tail was up and I was about 5 MPH from lieft off speed when I saw a hawk from my right peripheral vision flying directly across the runway about 1 foot high off the ground - just high enough to impact the bottom part of the prop - or so I thought.  I had already had a conversation about this with my instructor when we first got started flying several days ago, adn I assured him that I would definitely go ahead and hit the animal and not try to serve to miss it. SO what did I end up doing? Exactly what I said I wouldn't/ I tried to swerve left jsut a bit to buy some time, and the next thing I know I am headed in a controlled manner off to the left side of the runway.. Thanks to John He got the power reduced and kept telling me to lower the tail since we still had enough room to abort the takeoff.

Man what an experience. There were other birds all over the place today - a very hazardous situation to say the least. I was totally unprepared for what happened. I guess it goes to show you that a bird of prey will stop at nothing to get to the morning breakfast poking it's head out of some hole in the ground at some distant location. Anyway, turns out we never did hit the hawk - but it was real close. At that point John asked if I wanted to try one more before we had to come in due to the runway closure, and I said I had had enough for one day. So we taxied her back to the barn. Then, as if to add insult to injury, I went outside to my car in the parking lot, where I was parked right next to a small patch of grass and a tree, UNfortunately the sprinklers was on full blast nad were completely engulfing my car with water. I only have a key to unlock the car - both remotes are toast, and there is only one door lock on the drivers side - you know - the one completely emersed with water.

Well, since I was in my work clothes for the day I was not about to dive in to the fray to get the door unlocked, so I just stood there and waited for the water to stop - 5 minutes, 10, 25, 20 minutes later they finally stopped and I was on my way to work. No that I am horribly supersticious or anything, but I ddid notice that there was a full moon out tonight as I was walking the dog - - just another tale tale sign of days that are sometimes better left to the birds.......

Anyway, I am not discouraged and will press on. Just a little disappointed in my performance, or lack thereof. John kind of gave me a boost when he said that with less than 5 hours of flight time I was already at about a 90% completion status for the rating. That made me feel pretty good. He also reminded me that I am embarking on something that not too many people do - becoming a taildragger pilot. When I ahve this under my belt I will be in the company of some relatively exclusive pilots out there. I have to keep reminding myself that I am currently in the process of fullfilling one of my lifelong dreams, and sometimes that is not an easy thing to do. We are both taking a break for the holiday and will hit it hard again next week.

Happy Labor Day everyone. Stay safe and stay sober if you are behind the wheel - or a joystick, or whatever. My training theme to work on for next week is:

Wheels touch tail up
power off
stick forward

Sounds simple, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment