Saturday, December 3, 2011

396 hours on the hobbs - Dimpled trim tab skin and spars

Disassembled the trim tab spar and E721 hinge from the trim tab skin and deburred, dimpled, and countersunk the appropriate areas per the plans. Used the same technique to countersink the top flange of the trim tab spar that I used for the top flange of the rear spar of the elevator. In fact, the same hole spacing was used, or very close to it, so I was able to resue those same holes in my drill board to cleco the spar down and complete the countersinking. Bottom of the spar was dimpled, and the hinge was only deburred (no dimpling or countersinking on the hinge).

I also filed down the edges of the elevator skin where I remove the tabs. Looks like I may still have at least another 1/4 inch of skin to remove, but I won't know that for sure until the trim tab hinges are being lined up for final assembly.

I tried to get to several builder sites using Kit Log Pro for their builders logs, but they must have had server problems, because I could not access anyones info. I wanted to check Steve Riffe's log because he mentioned the problem that I am curious about regarding the trim tab servo and the two Z mounting brackets that are used to install it. The servo sits in these brackets, which get riveted to the bottom of the trim access cover plate shown in my previous posts.

While checking the trial fit of these brackets on the servo, I noted what Steve had also pointed out in his log - that there is not much clearance between the bottom of the servo and the two most forward rivets that attach the brackets to the cover plate. It seems that the servo case will end up hitting the dimple and the shop head of the front rivets because the mounting brackets do not provide enough clearance. I tried to check VAF posts for some answers, but was unsuccessful in finding exactly what I was looking for.

Tomorrow I hope to start setting the nut plate rivets that will hold the screws that will attach the cover plate and trim servo. Also, now that the 3 Ds are pretty much done, it is time to scuff and clean the parts for primer, so I may get started on that as well. I also need to fab the three riblets and will get started on those. Still a lot of steps to complete to finish the tail kit, but you just keep knocking them out one by one....

The third of three weather systems is going to move through tomorrow, so I don't expect I will be able to do any priming tomorrow. Single digit temps tonight. We have already cleared about 15 inches of snow from the first two systems, and we are expecting another 3 inches tomorrow. I have had enough snow for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment