Friday, November 11, 2011

378 hours on the hobbs - Skin, Trim Support, and Stiffeners Primed

Spent the day today (my last day of vacation for a bit) scuffing and cleaning the left elevator skin, stiffeners, and trim support plate, as well as the two back plates for the forward spar. I also got the rivets taped up on the bottom side in preparation for back riveting tomorrow. I will post pics tomorrow as I am too tired to do it now.

I spent time reviewing Steve Riffe's Builders log Wing section. Plan on making a Wing cradle similar to his - really like his design. Then there is the Wing Jig. This is a bit of a dilemma for me. I received a mobile jig (not affixed to the floor) from a fellow builder, and noted that Ron put his on casters. Steve is building a quick build so he did all his finish work from the cradle, and did not have to build the jig, since his wings are mostly complete from the factory.

I really want a solid jig for both wings, and would prefer to set the vertical posts firmly between the garage floor and the joists for the garage roof, but I have reservations about the crappy uneven garage floor that I have, combined with temperature changes and winter heaving of the ground, and the affect this might have on my wing jig components. Last thing I want is a twisted wing. I built enough of those for several of my RC airplanes to know what affect that can have on flight characteristics. Anyway, I still have some time to mull that over before I commit.

No comments:

Post a Comment