Saturday, October 15, 2011

341 hours on the hobbs - Dimpling the right elevator parts

So a few pics to help better undestand my previous post -  This frst one is titled "HAVE A NICE DAY!"

Am I having too much fun building an airplane or what? I just couldn't resist this. Actually this is the front of the counterweight skin after dimpling the screw holes with a number 10 dimple die.

Next is a close up of the countersunk holes on the flange of the root rib that will receive the dimpled holes of the Front spar web. I did a trial fit to see how well the dimples fit inside the countersunk holes, and everything seems to come together very nicely.

and here are the support plates for the rod end bearings that attach the elevator to the horizontal stabilizer when the time comes:


And here is the counterweight with the mounting holes drilled out and countersunk with a number 10 countersink bit.



And the next one shows a little more work to do on the counterweight for the right elevator only. The marks are cut lines where I will need to trim off part of the counterweight according to the plans. This is part of the balancing process that will take place both before and after paint is applied to the control surface. I expect that when the plane is certified for flying I will most likely not have it painted yet. The control surfaces will still need to be properly balanced, without the paint, and will need to be re-balanced after the weight of the paint is added. A very critical step in the build process.



And lastly is a pic of yours truly in the process of dimpling the ribs, spars, and skin of the right elevator. Tomorrow morning I will be scuffing, cleaning, and priming parts, and hope to be riveting it together later in the day. I have to make a decision about fixing some slightly proud rivets on some of the skin stiffeners - something I should have addressed before I bent the trailing edge. There are three that I am not happy with. Just not quite sure what I am going to do about it at this point. Anyway, I am using my trusty close quarter dimpling tool to get to the holes on the trailing edge of the ribs, which are too close together to use the squeezers.

No comments:

Post a Comment