Monday, November 1, 2010

150 hours back on the build again



Just when you thought I had vanished off the face of the earth, I'm back! After a summers-worth of home projects, and hunting season all but over, I finally manage to start working on the plane again - just in time for the cold weather! So to pick up where Ileft off, after Oshkosh 2010 I had repaired my blunder on the HS, but I still had some doubts about the fit of the end rib to the rear flange on the right side. There was a small gap that indicated that the flange was not quite seating properly. This is a structural concern and I finally stopped wrestling with the decision and decided to drill out the 2 AN470 rivets and do them over again. Read the series of posts about my major repair and you'll understand why I was hesitant to try to drill out any more AN470 rivets. This pic shows the gap. I was able to refit this and close up the gap successfully, and re-do the last flush rivet on the end of left side that I had also messed up, and now the HS is hanging up on the wall above my work benches, waiting on assembly with the fuselage someday down the road.
Here is the 8'4" long HS for my RV8. Just needs some fiberglass tips on the ends that I will install later. I'll probably pull it down again when my elevators are done just so I can test fit them to the HS and dream about the day when it's time to attach them to the fuselage for the very last time.



Now on to the Vertical Stabilizer, or what most folks call "the tail" or "the fin." You can see the frame or skeleton of the VS on the table just to the right of me. More VS pics will follow..

1 comment: