Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Making the Paper Template for the removeabe LE section

So tonight I took yet another file folder, took some measurements, drew some lines, used the access panel to trace the radiused corners, trimmed it to size, and then fit it onto the LE and taped it into place. It looks like the edges from side to side are fairly consistent at 7 and 13/16ths inches, and the length from the top of the LE wrapping around to the bottom side is about 11 and 3/4 inches.

Unfortunately I went into this exercise believing that the file folder was a god choice because they should be square, but I think this new box of file folders I bought from Sam's Club are anything but. I used my metal square and tried my best to ensure that the edges were square, but this proved to be a challenge for me this evening for some reason.

So, I think I am going to opt for a better template material that has stiffer and straighter paper; perhaps some poster board or something like that.

I also determined that I can deal with the gap on the outboard side between the subskin and the outer LE skin by building up the removeable skin with flox or some other fiberglass combo if necessary, so that it will be flush with the outer LE skin, and so I can worry about that later. For now, getting the side and end measurements of the removeable section s the most important thing to do. No pics tonight. The fit using the file folder was close but not close enough for my liking, and although that method worked fine for marking the cut lines on the outer skin, this time I need precise measurements that very closely match the same edge distances after cutting that section away. Due to differences in the thickness of the Sharpee line used to draw the line and where exactly I filed and sanded the edge to may cause slight variations in the actual measurement. So this may take some fine tuning before I get a template that I think will work properly.

I also determined that marking the position of the screw holes is going to be a challenge as well. As much as I would like to think that I marked and drilled all the screw holes in the exact measured spot, the reality is that only a CNC machine is capable of that, and all my holes were measured and marked by hand. If my center punch was off just a bit or my drill bit started the hole just a bit off, the center of each screw hole will not be exactly where I think it is. SO I can't just rely on those measurements and transfer them to the template. These screw holes have to secure this part very precisely, so they need to be located on the template based where they are actually located, not by the planned measurement. I'll have to think about how to do that accurately once I get the template sized correctly. It's times like these when I wish I had  CNC machine to take the guesswork out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment