Saturday, July 21, 2018

Airventure 2018 - A daily blog


OK, so this is not going to stick entirely with the main purpose of this blog, but if you have followed my journey in past years, you know that the pilgrimage to Airventure  is a very important part of this entire airplane building process. Nowhere else on the planet will you get the much needed shot in the arm to help keep you motivated and moving toward your goal of building and flying your own airplane than at Airventure.

This year I decided to start posting what I hope to be a daily journal of this trip to give others an idea of what the ground travel side of this adventure is like. One of the “perks” I get as an EAA Chapter newsletter editor is that I am able to obtain media pass privileges that allow me to obtain a weekly pass to the Airventure grounds free of charge, as long as I fulfill my obligatory “media” duties by reporting Airventure activities back to the Chapter. This I decided t do that by posting to this blog as much as possible to capture all the interesting things going on.

THE JOURNEY

I have been taking my trailer up to Camp Scholler in Oshkosh since 2009, when I attended my very first Airventure. Not only does Airventure become the world’s largest gathering of airplanes for one week, but t also becomes the world’s largest campground for one week. It essentially becomes an entirely new city. There are tents and trailers and RV’s as far as the eye can see, and beyond.

Since my first trip in 2009, I have been traveling for 2 days to get there, stay the full week, and then I take two more days to travel back. The journey takes about 2,050 miles round trip. I break it up into two 500 mile segments, because I have found that I can only take about 8 hours of driving with the trailer on the back until I am rather fatigued. I always leave on the Thursday prior to the start of the event, which is always on the Monday of the last week of July each year.

I left and arrived early on the first trip because I had no idea what to expect for the first time, and I wanted to make sure I had enough time to allow for “issues” or delays. I have been doing it the same way ever since, and it has worked out well, so I have no reason to change the way that I do this. So Thursday, 7-19-18, I set out once again on my annual trek.

I had managed to check all the major systems on the trailer prior to leaving, but I had no time to organize and pack things correctly, since I had been racing to get  new tires put on and the hitch realigned the week prior to my departure. These were safety items that had to be done, as two of the tires on the trailer were not in good shape, and if the rig is not level, you put too much stress on one axel or the other and this is not god for the trailer or the truck.

I was leaving behind  record heat levels in Denver, and heading toward a rather disorganized monsoonal flow that had started up near Minneapolis. It was very strange and very abnormal to be cooling off as I headed further east toward Omaha, NE, my typical halfway stopping point for the day one part of the trip. The rig was handling just fine with no issues. Over the past few years I have found that I don’t like much of anything at all about Omaha – never have, even during my college travel days up to UND.  So I have been driving for about an extra hour to Avoca Iowa to get out of the valley and presumably away from some of the heat, as well as the roads.

For the record, Omaha has the worst road conditions in the entire USA, without question. My entire rig was just about shaken apart for the second year in a row. Never have I seen such horrible road infrastructure. It was so bad this year that I am now contemplating a new route – to stay away from Omaha entirely. Anyway, the rig seems to have survived, but things in the trailer were most certainly going airborne at times. Avoca also has a newer Motel 6 that was just finished a few years ago. It does not smell entirely like cigarette smoke yet, so I like to stay there for my overnight to take advantage of the AC.

The next morning I began my travels listening to the radio, and much to my surprise, the day before there were 3 major tornadoes in the Des Moines area, which was my next destination from Avoca, only 93 miles away. They caused major damage but no fatalities. This sent shivers up my spine because I had no idea this had happened, and I realized that had my travel plans been just one day off, I could have found myself in the middle of that mess.

One thing I have learned over the years – Iowa has some very violent thunderstorms. Monsoonal activity certainly does not help the situation. Luckily for me, I managed to avoid the situation, and just had low clouds, high winds, and some rain showers to contend with, but no tornadoes thank god!

From Des Moines on I-80 I go toward Cedar Rapids on I-380 until I get to the Highway 151 interchange, which is the diagonal highway that pretty much makes a straight shot at that point all the way to Oshkosh. I arrived at KOSH on Friday, 7-20-18, at about 5:00 pm Central time (oh yeah, you lose an hour from Denver to Oshkosh, somewhere near Kearney Nebraska.)  The campground has started adding more electric and hookup sites to the area that I have fond I like to camp at during the event, so the only way for me to stay in that area is to cough of the extra money for a hookup site – it’s 65.00 per day vs. 27.00 per day for a dry or generator camp site.

So I backed into my expensive patch of grass and set up home for the next week. I only had about enough energy left to go into town for some dinner, and they I came back and shoved everything out of the way on my new bed so I could have a place to sleep.  Turned on my new air conditioner and finally had a nice night’s sleep for a change.

IN the next post I will have some much more interesting stuff about pelicans and airplanes and EAA radio, and rain, rain, and more rain……. It’s not quite like Sloshkosh 2010 out here yet, but it ain’t very dry either. I am glad I got here when I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment