Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Note to Self.........

Hurry up and finish this plane so that I can be somewhere else that is warmer and less windy than here in Denver in the months of January and February. This month has just been the absolute pits. High winds, cold temps, illnesses, work crap - just the pits. So long February 2018 - don't come back any time soon!

As a result of all that I have not been able to do much on the plane until last night. I was finally able to do the file folder straight edge trick and confirmed that my suspicions were correct. This time the lines matched up almost perfectly - much much better than before.The real culprit does appear to be the measurements I took from the forward most rivet holes for each rib flange, which are about 1/16th of an inch offset from the rest of the rib flange rivet holes, due to the reasons I stated in the previous post. This caused my cut line measurement to be off by that same amount, resulting in lines that did not "connect" on either side of the LE skin very well.

By NOT applying ANY measurements from these forward-most rivet holes, and only using measurements from the other holes that are in alignment with each other, the connecting lines around the front of the LE skin all seemed to line up as expected this time. Glad that that mess is over. Now I am just waiting for some warmer weather so I can get back to the "real" work. Now that the cut lines are drawn again, I can mark and match drill #40 holes for the added rivet lines that will secure the skin edges near the cut line, as well as #30 screw holes for the nut plates that will provide the attach points for the modular LE part. Then back to fabricating more parts for the inboard fuel tank rib.....

No comments:

Post a Comment