Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Still Trying to Prime LE Parts

Lousy painting weather and other stuff getting in the way of priming my LE parts. My wife managed to locate a set of stainless steel turkey basters, complete with a cleaning brush, thermometer, and injection needle that screws into the threaded end of the tube - all for a reasonable $10.00 price. I should be able to use those repeatedly for measuring out small quantities of primer and catalyst. The only problem is that you cannot see through the metal tube, but since I use pre-marked paint cups from NAPA auto parts to measure all my quantities, that is really not a big deal.

I also found and bought two large syringes at the Walmart aircraft supply store that are supposed to be used for measuring out 2 cycle engine oil. These are plastic, so they will suffer from the same one-time-only use fate as the other plastic turkey basters did, but they will certainly fulfill their purpose.





Also had to focus on getting two teeth crowned in the past couple of weeks. The trailer is on the short list of prep steps now. Airventure is only a few weeks away and I am really excited to attend this year. The only thing I am really worried about is the weather while I am traveling.

I had also waited on priming the other parts because I was trying to decide if I wanted to go ahead and prime the entire subskin before I do any final trimming. I decided to do just that, since I still have to figure out the jigsaw puzzle that I need to put together from the two overlapping access panel openings in the skin. Here is the subskin after a preliminary scuffing of all sides:




This part had a lot of scratches and abrasions from all the trial fittings and repeated assembly and removal steps so far. It was a bear to get some of the deeper scratches out. None of them were really all that deep. they just looked bad against the remaining shiny alclad layer that has now been removed. I still have some final cleaning to do on this part before it will be ready for priming. I think it may actually fit a little better in between the skin and the ribs after removing the alclad layer. I hope to get everything primed before the end of this week.

The rest of this next series of pics is more for my benefit so that I do not lose the markings and measurements and thoughts that I scribbled down on the subskin  before removing them this evening. I may need to reference them when I am ready to start trimming down the subskin to its final form. As I start trimming this part it will start to make more sense.

KPR....


















No comments:

Post a Comment