Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Right Wing Main Ribs Primed and Sratches in Wing Spars Dressed and Primed

Got all the remaining main ribs for the right wing primed yesterday. I also had to address several areas on both of my wing spars that had some scratches that appeared to be deeper than surface level. These scratches have been bothering me ever since I received my wing kit. I basically had to use 220 grit aluminum oxide sand paper to remove the gold anodized coating, and then continued to sand until the scratch was removed. Here are some before and after pics, starting with the worst one on the web of the left wing main wing spar web:





After the scratch was removed, I primed the affected area:
And there was one more scratch on the opposite side, unfortunately in about the same general area toward the tip of the spar, but running in a different direction:




And then there were a couple of spots on the right wing spar that I also wanted to repair. I used a cotton swap to apply primer on these areas so they don't look as crisp and clean as the other ones, but it got the job done so I am satisfied:




Today was a bit chilly outside so I decided to quit for the day and enjoy the rest of the holiday watching football. Thank goodness 2014 is finally here! Next steps for me are to place the LE assembly and cradle on the work table and move the wing spars to the work benches. Time to start riveting some ribs together tomorrow. I also spent some time reviewing Dan C.'s method for drilling the fuel tank Z bars which attach the back of the fuel tank to the wing spar and ensures that there is little or no gap between the LE skins and the Fuel Tank skins. If I keep at it I figure I will be working on my fuel tanks in early spring.



No comments:

Post a Comment