Sunday, December 1, 2013

Wing Rib Prep Cont'd, and the loss of another good friend.....

I managed to finish scuffing the main wing ribs for both wings. In total I think this took me about 8-10 hours or so just to scuff and deburr the 28 main ribs (14 per wing). The last two ribs are the end ribs that are used to support the wing spar on the wing stands, so this meant that I had to remove both wing spars from the stands, remove the end ribs, and detach the angle mounting bracket from each rib. The leading edge ribs still need to be scuffed (14 more of those to do).

The next steps are to clean and prime the two end ribs so that these can be remounted to the wing spar so I can put the apars back on the wing stands. In fact, once these are primed I think I can go ahead and rivet them to the wing spar. The cleaning process is a bath in warm water and original formula dawn dishwashing detergent, followed by a deep cleaning with acetone and a micro fiber cloth.

For the primer I am currently thinking about using the NAPA 7220 from the spray can instead of the two part epoxy primer - mostly for time saving reasons, and because my two part primer has been sitting around outside in the garage for a long time and may now be unusable, and because the weather is expected to get colder next week.

And as if there isn't enough sad news in the world today, I just got word that another very good friend and Civil Air Patrol acquaintance John Butler has passed away. I spent a lot of time in my last several years of CAP service working with John by conducting a variety of different training courses for the Jeffco Senior Squadron. John was a great guy and he will be sorely missed. John had some medical issues but I don't have any details yet. All I know for sure is that at least he did not parish in an airplane crash. Rest in Peace John - Lord knows you have sure earned it.

This year just can't end soon enough for me.....

No comments:

Post a Comment