Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Preparing for Airventure 2012

As I anticipated, I have NOT been able to devote much time to the build over past couple of weeks because I needed to focus on preparing for the long 2000 mile road trip (1000 miles each way) to Airventure in Oshkosh Wisconsin. This will be year number 4 for me, and more importantly it is the fourth year in a row that I will make the pilgrimage and attend the entire event.  So many others are unable to attend the whole thing, and I feel truly blessed to be able to experience it each and every day of the week-long event. Even more important is that my son will be attending the event with me again this year.

I have had to spend some quality time taking care of my home away from home, and I am happy to say that the preparations are almost complete. I usually end up having to amke at least some kind of water system repair from the previous year to my trailer. Maybe one day I will learn how to properly winterize everything, but until then, water system repairs are just part of the norm for me. It was actually not too bad this time - my 23 year old bathroom faucet valves finally decided to stop working, I found another one at HD for 11 bucks to replace it. Then I had a plastic P-trap drain part that was leaking along the seam. My dad offered up a fantastic remedy by using some of that rubber - in - a - spray can stuff to stop the leak, and it seems to have actually worked. I may have to remember that if I ever develop a leak in the airplane someday.

So far the extended weather forecasts for the Wisconsin area look very promising, adn are reminiscent of every other year I have attended excet for 2010, with temps in the comfortable 70s and 80s. VAF has already organized a gathering after the opening day Steve Miller Band concert, and I can't wait to attend that. My week is already chalked full of activities, including banquets, forums, workshops, adn just walking around gawking at airplanes for hours. Truly heaven on earth as far as I am concerned. 

As for the build, I will probably be able to finish straightening and deburring the ribs, and might even be able to start match drilling some of them to the spar, but that will be about it before it is time to depart for Oshkosh. For those of you Attending, I will see you there. For those of you following my blog that have never been - you really have to do this at least once in your lifetime. It is probably the most positive experience I have ever had in my life, and I am almost to a point where I cannot imagine my life without it and the wonderful support from the EAA.

No comments:

Post a Comment