Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wings 74, Total 537 - WIng RIb Prep Progress

Slow but steady over the past couple of days. I still ahve about 12 main ribs and all of the nose ribs left to go, so at least several more days before they will be done. A good goal at this point would be finished by the end of the weekend, but I may be knee deep in the nose ribs in reality. Either way, progress is progress.

I am probaby spending way too much time checking rivet hole alignment, especially for the main ribs, since those can be flexed a bit to get them into position. The nos ribs, however, will need to be as spot on as possible to ensure that the curved leading edge skins and fuel tank skins will fit correctly from te beginning. I ahve already had the "pleasure" (NOT) of trying to move a nose rib while it is being tightly hugged by the skin - not fun, and very risky as well. Anyway - they are my ribs so I will work them however I want.

I only have one pic for you tonight, but I like this one quite a bit. It conjurs up memories of when I first started unpacking the crates that the Wing kit came in from the factory. They were all taped together, and when you severed the tape they almost sprang to the ceiling adn scattered all orver because they were so springy. This was partially due to how tightly they were mashed down and the way that they were stacked, but the main reason was due to how much curve or spring was in each rib after it came out of the forming blocks. I believe that all of the ribs in an RV kit are hydro-formed, which means they are placed under tremendous hydraulic pressure to for each rib.

SO this shot shows the stack of remaining main ribs in the background, and a stack of some of the completed ribs in the foreground. Notice the nicely flat and neatly stacked completed ribs in the foreground, compared to the curved and messy looking stack in the background. What a difference a little fluting and flange straightening can make!


Each stack of nice looking ribs is one pair, one for the left and one for the right. So there are 10 ribs in that completed stack. I am pleased with my progress thus far, slow as it may be. I would guess that on average I am spending about 10-15 minutes on each rib. Time well spent in my opinion.

On a parting note, if you are building one of these, and you want to have some fun with those that are a little on the "unkowing" side when it comes to airplanes, just take some of the unworked ribs and cleco them to the main spar and start boasting about how great they look. Then sit back and watch the curious looks and listen to the comments that you get. My idea if fun I guess. Of course, don't do that to anyone you expect you might take up flying someday - as they may have a change of heart if you play that joke on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment